Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lincoln V12 with ARDUN heads.

landman

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy  Landman, Comp1839,  The plug locations are pretty much how I figured they would be too.  Yeah I love the modern take you did on the Beast Comp1839 not sure I've seen it in this finished sate. beautiful machine work!!!

I've scaled way back on production because I like working out the prototypes too much and have to many projects on the bench already however now that we are into extended 'retirement' I am feeling the need to fire back up the resin works and sell a few more kits.  I did finally get the Potvin project fleshed out.

V12 Inj & Pot_PhotoSheet 10-18.jpg

V12-Potvin Parts.jpg

FF01 Composite.jpg

Edited by Big John
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 3:16 PM, Big John said:

Howdy  Landman, Comp1839,  The plug locations are pretty much how I figured they would be too.  Yeah I love the modern take you did on the Beast Comp1839 not sure I've seen it in this finished sate. beautiful machine work!!!

I've scaled way back on production because I like working out the prototypes too much and have to many projects on the bench already however now that we are into extended 'retirement' I am feeling the need to fire back up the resin works and sell a few more kits.  I did finally get the Potvin project fleshed out.

V12-Potvin Parts.jpg

Are those 1/8 John?

On 1/17/2021 at 4:18 AM, landman said:

Are those 1/8 John?

Yes 1/8.  I got the bug when I had the Monogram flathead and did an Ardun set for them and read some post on another forum about a Potvin V12 that's when I developed the Lincolnstein project to make the big 12.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:16 PM, landman said:

This is what I ended up with.

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

But we digress from landman's wonderful 1/24 build.  Just a note on the distributor, I liken it to a cross between Darth Vader' helmet and Princess Leia's buns.

611236379_Distbutor10sml.jpg.a1e8ff9540f15049ae1c24f6b2d58011.jpg

Edited by Big John

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2020 at 10:44 AM, Ray Bell said:

You realise it would never work?

There was a reason for the spacing of the spark plugs on the V8, simply following the same lines with the V12 would mean that you have two plugs in one hole. Or something.

Look at the way four cylinder engines get converted to sixes, the L16 Nissan being a good example. When it was changed to a six for the bigger sedans and the 240Z the spacing of ports was altered accordingly. Things like this affect spacing of spark plugs, so you have to look to the design to see what that spacing will be.

A couple of designs, first the Nissan:

Thought you folks might be interested in this one.

TS

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 11:31 AM, comp1839 said:

just eyeballin' it. i think you could get pretty close.  give me some real  dimensions and i'll make an accurate representation.

image.jpeg.d21c5660ca2a95121c9b94f71924ed4b1.jpg

This would be the cleanest location for the plugs.  The center spacing woud match the stock Arduns

No. 2 and 4 plugs could go either way since we are making up our own design.  Once I had a message from someone who was actually working on a set of hemi (Ardun?) heads for the 1:1 Lincoln V12.  He was busy flow testing combustion chamber and porting combinations.  I regret I lost his e-mail contact info so I don't know if he ever finished the project.  I believe he intended to run it a Bonneville.

13 hours ago, Big John said:

No. 2 and 4 plugs could go either way since we are making up our own design.  Once I had a message from someone who was actually working on a set of hemi (Ardun?) heads for the 1:1 Lincoln V12.  He was busy flow testing combustion chamber and porting combinations.  I regret I lost his e-mail contact info so I don't know if he ever finished the project.  I believe he intended to run it a Bonneville.

i realize that John.  the plugs could go on either side of any of those combustion chambers or put dual plugs in each combustion chamber.  the reference was to the fact that it was indicated that your head / spark plug spacing didn't work with that v-12 block when in fact it does. that is what i was pointing out. 

Dual plugs would certainly help the combustion process.  From what I see on the stock Ardun heads they would have had a problem with the spark plug not being far enough into the chamber so ignition would be marginal.  I thought about slant plugs to get the tip down into the chamber but that raises other issues.

V112 Head Layout Dual Plug rast.jpg

Ardun Plug Location.jpg