Model Cars Magazine Forum

Molotow Chrome -Can you clear coat

About to take the plunge and try out Molotow Chrome pens. I`ve read a number of positive reviews on the product. However, I just have one unaddressed question..can it be clear coated. I know some "chrome" products for example Alclad looses some of its luster when clear coated.

This is one of those products that will lose the chrome effect if you clear coat (using the usual suspects).

Searching the forum and interwebz will turn up some clear coat products that don't dull the chrome effect as much, but it would be preferable to airbrush the Molotow chrome, let it cure, and then avoid unnecessary handling.

1 hour ago, Jon Haigwood said:

Spastik Clear is reported to not dull Molotow. I have only done some minor testing and it seemed to work well. Use at your own discretion. I plan on doing more testing at a later date.  

Interesting, thanks for posting. I have clear coated Spaz Stix Ultra chrome with 2x ploy-u after a couple weeks with little to no effect. 

I did some experimenting on some spoons that I airbrushed some Molotow onto...Tamiya clear, Future and Createx clear all dulled it significantly, but Future dulled it the least. 

That said, I discovered all of those results will give you a really bare-aluminum color that's obviously much more handle-able than, say, Alclad