Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shifter Boot

Hey All

Came up with a killer boot for floor shifters. Go to the local automotive or hardware store, purchase black latex gloves (thin). Cut a hole in the floor or console on your project. Cut the latex glove larger than the hole created. In the middle of the latex piece, cut a slight hole in the middle and gently push the shifter through the hole of latex piece. Pull the shifter and boot through the hole or console let the extra slack from the latex form a "boot", glue down the extra material underneath . Finish it with photo etch bracket around the shifter boot. Very cool !!!!

Shifter boot.jpg

• Like 2

A word of caution. I have seen instances of latex gloves literally melt after few years of being exposed to air (as in taken out of their sealed protective packaging).  Latex does not have a long life exposed to air (oxygen).  Bu that was standard light colored latex. I never worked with the black stuff.

Another idea would be to wrap some 2-part epoxy putty (like Milliput or Tamiya) around the shifter shaft, then sculpt it into a boot shape. Then of course paint it semigloss black.

Edited by peteski

20 hours ago, peteski said:

A word of caution. I have seen instances of latex gloves literally melt after few years of being exposed to air (as in taken out of their sealed protective packaging).  Latex does not have a long life exposed to air (oxygen).  Bu that was standard light colored latex. I never worked with the black stuff.

You’re right about the latex.  Ever notice how rubber bands turn dry and brittle now, when they used to last seemingly forever?  Ground level ozone is given the blame for disintegration of latex rubber.

44 minutes ago, Curt said:

You’re right about the latex.  Ever notice how rubber bands turn dry and brittle now, when they used to last seemingly forever?  Ground level ozone is given the blame for disintegration of latex rubber.

... hmmm and thus a population explosion....

hehehe..

Nitrile gloves are what you want

• Like 1

I didn't worry about latex breaking down to the elements. Average piece of latex is 1/2" square for a 1/25 scale project. Wouldn't really notice it (not sure?). Photo is 4 years old