Model Cars Magazine Forum

some old racing engines

absmiami

2 minutes ago, absmiami said:

Oh wait - you want me to build these ???

On the left is the 25th scale ford DOHC engine fr mad mike models on the right is the 24th scale engine with some parts removed 

DCE89E65-EB42-4A3B-922E-A810A0D49DC8.jpeg

Andrew,

I am concerned about your health if you attempt to build these.  I will send you a PM with my address and you can just send them to me and you don't have to worry about them any more.

?

14 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Andrew,

I am concerned about your health if you attempt to build these.  I will send you a PM with my address and you can just send them to me and you don't have to worry about them any more.

?

Thank you for your concern. But my mental health is fine -  l lost my mind years ago ...

Randy at Model builders’ Warehouse will happy to send you some .  However, there may be a small charge ....

posted the photos on fr the I phone but it is easier to tap out my thoughts on a keyboard

So:

Mad Mike is the creator of the Ford 289 indy engine that I wrestled with on page 2 ...

He has now drawn and printed nearly all of Ford's mid-late sixties racing engines -

mostly in 24th scale - some will fit with mods into your existing kits - you name it

some will not - but these are worthy builds as stand alones ….

in fact, this -  as Pico reminds me - is the brave new world

check out the Hewland script and badging on the back of the transaxle casing - yikes

remember how impressed we were when we saw this on a large scale kit - this is 24th scale !

and I have made no effort to clean up the parts - how great will these look once and cleaned up and  with some paint on it ?

actually Mad posted a picture of his 24th scale build on the blog in the Big Boys Section on the 1/8 scale Ford Indy DOHC model

that can be found back in the December postings - worth a look

there will be a lot of clean up on the back side of the engine - from which the part is printed - or "grown"

that's okay  -   the missing casting features can be added by the intrepid engine builder ...

Now there are some scale compromises - but hey - we've got to fix - or ruin - something - right?

the 24th scale exhaust headers are printed without the fasteners at the collector pipe joints

- these thingies are called "header tabs" according to my google machine ...

we'll have to make our own …. - but consider how much better this engine looks with scale accurate exhaust headers

compare this part to the sad lumps that were created by AMT, MPC and/or Finecast when the Indy kits were first created in the seventies.

not their fault  -  back then the defense department couldn't have done this either  

the 1/8 scale engine was printed with the a wonderful fuel injector link assembly that flies across the front of the cam cover -

probably not do-able / printable in 24th scale - but Query Mad -  when you did your assembly on the 24th scale prototype

- did  your print your assembly or fashion and  assemble it  from brass etc ?

the valve covers have the FORD block letters down the length of the part

- accurate for the later DOHCs - particularly ones used by AJ

the Lotus Indys and the Gurney Eagles had earlier engines without this script

- so those wanting to build an early DOHC engine will have to make this change

- or perhaps pirate the Gurney Eagle kit valve covers for the 25th scale engine kits - just sayin'

I've got some more thoughts on where or how these engines could find their way into a few kits -

that's for a separate post - but assume that a 25th scale engine kit might be the answer for a correctly scaled 24th scale Indy kit

wondering if the 25th scale engine might squeeze into the 1/25  '68 Gurney Eagle Indy kit - it mite

the 25th sc Lotus 29 Indy kit ?  dunno

afraid that the 25th sc AMT Lotus 38 kit is a lost cause ….   much too small  …

long post - I get paid by the sentence - right ?

Hi Andy,

Mike could chime in here also but the residue may be resin that did not get removed in the cleaning and drying stage when the part comes out of the vat of liquid resin.  Try rubbing alcohol applied with a q-tip maybe???

Hope you don't mind but I wanted to emphasize how cool the exhaust system on this motor is.  This is where 3D printing shines in the hands of someone as skilled as Mike.  All eight pipes and the collectors (the long tips are seperate) are printed as one piece. You gently squeeze and rotate into place on the top of the motor. Pretty much a snap fit !!!!   Once the support rods are removed you see where 3d printing allows each pipe to be grown individualy.

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

Yup. I’ll post a group picture of the exhaust headers w the corresponding lumps from the lotus and eagle kits. Later tonite ....

since - like most of the rest of us - you’ve got nothing but time on your hands .... would you like to create a demo header tab in brass and post the results. I’ll try one in plastic ....

The next victim is the header casting in white metal from the English Finecast 24th scale Indy Lotus. I love these kits they make great curbside models. Their dimensions and shape are very good.  But about those headers...

D14C9F2E-5882-4678-ABC7-095B00045742.jpeg

Lastly - the MPC 25th scale Gurney ‘68. Eagle kit headers ... Well, they tried ...  You will notice that the header flanges are about the same distance apart left to right - and about the same length. I think that the mad mike printed 25th scale headers might fit onto the gurney kit engine. That’s the next lab experiment ...

D5F0EE78-31EF-449F-9AC6-E1C85B0627BE.jpeg

61338E33-7B91-40CA-AE27-96C74B6D7EB9.jpeg

0C38626D-051F-43BD-8CF0-E57305337A90.jpeg

5B0E4123-DFA7-4017-9474-3601C507B9F6.jpeg

Hello Andrew, guess it's time to answer some questions! But first, thank you for the kind words and the many photos. That comparison to cast parts really shows the potential of a printer. 

About the sticky surface problem: The parts have been cleaned in an ultrasonic bath with isopropyl alcohol, after that cured in a UV chamber. Sometimes the curing is inhibited in some places, maybe my UV is not as good since it's no professional unit. I try to put the prints in sunlight for a few days which helps too, maybe sandblast them a little for paint preparation. But I never had problems painting printed parts, mostly I use standard automotive flat black spray cans for priming.

About the throttle linkage: I really thought hard about providing one with the parts, believe me. I printed one for my prototype build as you've observed correctly, the machine printed about 90% of it and I broke it only three times while cleanup and installing... in addition to that I would have to make another platform filled with linkages to add to the parts, which would've raised the price per kit quite considerably. So I decided against it. Would be great if you made one of brass though!

About the header tabs: sometimes the part allows them, see my Boss engine. Here the header package orientation on the build platform would have meant supporting those tabs with struts, and it would have been a real hassle to clean them without breaking, so I decided against them. I'd suggest tin foil for trying to make them.

Can't wait to see how you paint those! Here's another pic of my prototype.

DSC_0454.jpg

Thanks to mad for the commentz. Sunlight!  Let’s see. I live in florida maybe see if I can find some of that ... 

ive tried to sand blast in the past. Tough to do here in the humidity. Never found a good way to set up the equipment. Gonna need a bigger work shop ...

but thanks for:

A.  answering a modeling prayer ...  and B. sending me down this rabbit hole ...

After an alcohol wipe, some toothpaste and an old toothbrush - both the headers and the engine block are ready to go. Once you cleanup the back of

the engine  the detail on the engine mounts is very good. Despite the fact that the engine is “printed” from this projection ...

C855EAA7-9086-4390-AB32-994DEA5CDC1B.jpeg

I'd like to add that this is not only excellent quality printing, but superb CAD design work; which isn't easy. Try it sometime, it will take you a major amount of time to get to this point.