Model Cars Magazine Forum

some old racing engines

absmiami

trying to figure out where all of the water and oil lines are going  --  thinking about this for weeks

and then I remembered that the Fusi Alfa Romeo bible - published about 40 years ago - had the answers !

the book has a very good chapter on the 158 and 159 with half a dozen factory (?) drawings

- including diagrams for the water and the oil lines

yeah ....

So the scroll shaped pump that I made needed a second outlet - that sends water down a pipe that distributes the coolant to the center of the cylinder head just below the exhaust pipe openings

so I made the pipe with a length of .047 nickel silver rod - filed and shaped and tapered

that will be glued in place after everything is painted ....

that's one water pipe down and three to go ....

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

one of the better features of the MFH Alfa engines is that they took the trouble to include a small diameter tube that carries two electrical wires back from the distributors to the engine bulkhead - the tube is perched on top of the right hand cyl head.

so I grabbed a length of .082 mm steel tubing that I bought years ago from an English internet site/seller and filed a bunch of notches - the perforations are then opened with the point of an Xacto knife - and the head of a small dia pin drill

and than threaded some .0075 inch black  detail wire - the tube is about 3/4 inch in scale and should be close to scale accurate

still have to figure out how to secure it to the valve cover - later  ....

and thank you Misters Laski and McNutt

once we stop learning we are totally screwed - right ??

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

some more stuff

the second picture shows a neat breather pipe that was 3D printed

replacing that with a nickel silver pipe but will use that perforated cap - don't want to try to make that !

also made an oil entry line from brass rectangular stock and brass bolt heads that is glued to the cylinder head .....

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

yes, observant one, it's a shot of the GT 40 engine on display at the Rev's Museum in Naples

Florida - not Italy ...

As raced by the Shelby team - it featured the Gurney Weslake scripted valve covers

the photos are from Scale Production's site - they are a German outfit

the engine is 3D printed in 24th scale - and yes, it has the neat Gurney Weslake valve covers ....

comes as a kit per the 3rd photo .... 

for those of use who have not yet evolved to the level of Randy D's scratch-building skills [and maybe not in this lifetime ...]  this kit provides a bonkers accurate and detailed GT40 engine - which could find it's way into an interesting number of kits / projects ....

there is, of course, a catch ....  or two ....

100_9705.jpg

100_9704.jpg

Zuschneiden_0.jpg

Those "stalks" are commonly called supports and they don't cut like styrene because the resin is hard and brittle.  After cutting them for a few years now on very delicate parts I learned a couple tricks.  First of all I got disposable scalpels, #11 is nice, Xacto blades tend to be too thick, and then score each support flush with the part usually on two opposite sides, but one works too.  Doesn't have to be very deep. The score controls where the support will break loose.  Then using a very sharp quality sprue cutter clip the support some distance away from where it connects to the part and at an angle so the clipping displaces the support end sideways to break it free of the part. 

Where I can't get a sprue cutter in I "saw" the supports completely through using a scalpel with teeth that I make by pushing the scalpel blade against one of the cutting edges of a carbide burr.  I make 5 or 6 tiny knicks in the blade spaced .002" to .004" apart.  

Cutting supports can be rewarding if not fun.

actually the supports can be cut in different ways depending on their length

I  used a diamond bur in a foredom drill for the longer stalks - that seems to put minimum stress on the parts

also used one of the fine toothed hand saw blades sold by UMM - that seemed to work well for the shorter supports

managed to get everything apart without major problems

will post some shots of the individual parts this weekend

once you've got all the parts free - that's when the fun begins ...

another random thought

the engine was raced by Gurney, Shelby, and others - with carbs  - and with fuel injection - with different exhaust header configurations

and different sumps etc  -  in Indy cars and Can Ams and sports cars - Lotus 30 - Lolas - Gurney Indy Eagles - you name it  ......

the kit engine is designed for the GT40 - but there are lots of other cars that this engine could find its way into 

if anyone else wants to post their  build pictures  of this kit here be my guest - 

gramps - buy one and do a build with fuel injection 

actually  I bought two and might make one with fuel injection for an Indy car

just a thought ....

so the parts are off the supports and assembled for fit issues and pictures

so here's Catch II:

the exhaust bundles are casted in two parts with exhaust pipes crossing to the collectors

I tried for an hour to assemble the two bundles - no can do - would love to know how Scale Production assembled their display engine .....

So I removed three exhaust pipes from the collectors to allow the loose assembly in the photos

I'll have to attach the three separate pipes after painting and initial assembly - which will be a treat ...

but as you can see - the detail is fiendish and accurate - and the 3D printing allow hollow part design

so the exhaust tips are hollow right back to the collectors - try that on your plastic kit parts !

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

check out the detail on the water pump and pulley and the front of the engine

now this won't go into the Lemans Miniatures GT40 w/out major chassis surgery

but I think it will fit once the kit engine bulkhead is removed and replaced with something more accurate - See Randy D's GT40 build ....

and the transmission !!!!

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

the Scale Production GT40 eng kit will set you back about 70 bucks w shipping to N America

if viewed rationally - it is way too much $$

but why view things rationally ?

or how about this - the kit costs about  $300.00 less than a MFH 1/24th kit

which generally speaking - I can't afford ....

haven't bought one in about 4 years .....

and...

building this thing will keep you off the streets for about twenty hours or so ...

I can spend a lot more than 70.00 dollars on the streets in about half that time

and ....

WHAT most of us can AFFORD is generally a function of how much PAIN 

we can endure from the spouse -

you know - the one in charge of the finances ....

So if I cop a 12th scale MHF kit this week - I am almost guaranteeing

an unacceptably immense amount of pain in the foreseeable future ...

those kits,   Landman  ,  are beautiful .... 

I wish I could afford one ....

there - I feel better now . ....

since I'm on an engine building kick - I decided to wheel the Cooper FIII back out of the barn for some work on the Norton Manx engine

The Merit kit engine parts were glued together and then sawed apart to add the detaied engine features

the cylinder head is finned  ;  the round lump that looks like a green growth cut from some old guy's neck is supposed to be the finned cylinder head

- not so good

- time to make the fins ....

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg