Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forty-Mine: 49 Ford & Probe greenhouse mash-up

Claude Thibodeau

13 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Thanks for the comments. Does anyone knows the name of the Ford designer who came up with the design idea? Just curious...

CT

Ford Design Chief J Mays hired in Chip Foose to consult on the Forty Nine design.

Info sourced from Hemmings.com

Cheers........ Geoff

Hi Geoff!

Thanks, I didn't know that Mays sought out Foose on that one. But I'm not surprised, since Mr. Foose sure has the Midas touch with design.

Makes it even more regrettable that Ford did not offer the FortyNine for a short anniversary run. I suppose they did not want to steal the new TBird's thunder?

CT

On 6/15/2019 at 5:09 AM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Geoff!

Thanks, I didn't know that Mays sought out Foose on that one. But I'm not surprised, since Mr. Foose sure has the Midas touch with design.

Makes it even more regrettable that Ford did not offer the FortyNine for a short anniversary run. I suppose they did not want to steal the new TBird's thunder?

CT

Hi Claude,

Here's the link to the article I referred to:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/12/07/fords-forty-nine-concept-promised-a-mainstream-retro-future-for-the-blue-oval/

Cheers..... Geoff

2 hours ago, zakdoggi said:

Hi Geoff!

Interesting read.

I had an old Car & Driver that ran a feature on the design and construction of the coupe version (with a real motor train), but nowhere did it mention the input of Mr. Foose in said article. Yours goes further.

Interesting to see old concept cars fetching so little (60K$) in comparison to their construction cost! These two pups must have cost close to 600K$ in all. 

As the experts said: "money spent on marketing is never lost, it is INVESTED". And Henry Ford himself said: "to cut marketing to save money is like... stopping your watch to save time". 

Amen. 

CT