Model Cars Magazine Forum

D8H Dozer Fire Department Edition

So, as many of you know the Big Rig Build Off has been going on for the last several months and it is coming to a close soon. This Dozer is part of the set I am building. There will be a truck, trailer and this Dozer. I figured I would post this here on its own, then when I am done I will put them all together as a set.

Last year a huge fire came through my are and burned over half of my land (15 acres). My house was not touched due to the efforts of the fire fighters. Lucky for me what did get burned was just sage brush and so I lost nothing to the fire except weeds. Some of my neighbors lost fences, trees, bushes, but only 2 structures were damaged. So, this build is a tribute to the men and women that worked so hard to save our houses. 

I built this mostly from the box, but with a lot of details added. The weathering on this is light as the fire crews take good care of their stuff and will paint it when it gets beat up looking. The Hydraulic cylinders and the exhaust are both aluminum, the cross bar behind the blade is brass and the blade arms and the blade surface are both covered in foil to give it the steel look. I painted the arms then scraped off the paint to expose the "steel" under the paint like it had been worn off over time. Where I live we have really fine soil in areas and I used that to weather it. The mud, or dried on dirt is dirt from my yard mixed with Future and in some ares some paint. Its fine nature is perfect for the scale. The engine and hydraulic cylinders are plumbed and the engine was oiled up with some Tamia XF-1 black and Future for a was. Never saw an old Diesel that didn't leak oil, so it needed it.

Paint is Rust-oleum Painters Touch 2X Gloss Apple Red with Rust-oleum Matte clear.

Enjoy. Oh, and this was not a new kit. This was a glue bomb I got in a box with other stuff. It was a mess. Much of the details were required just due to the original parts being junk. SOmeday I may add a roll bar/cab, but for now time is about up and I need to finish the rest of the project.

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Beautiful Crawler!  I've an old TD-9 and these machines are a real different experience from anything else. Yours looks perfect. Just the right amount of weathering. I really like the Fuel Stain, as those are just impossible to keep up with when you are working.

• 4 weeks later...