Model Cars Magazine Forum

I need a Ford on the shelf

I don't have any Fords built and decided I should do one. I picked the top 3 up at flea markets and the bottom two I bought new. After looking at all of these kits, it seems that the Revell '69 Shelby is by far the best quality. It is missing all the clear plastic, but that shouldn't be too hard to make from clear sheet, or maybe one of the other kits can donate. One tail light is also missing:(.The Cougar I think is the next best. Anyone have any opinions on these?

Thanks, Greg.

IMG_7850.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

The Revell Shelby and AMT are at least a few decades newer than the Mach1 and 68 Shelby which have origins back to the 60's, thus they have a better chassis and interior.  I'm not that familar with the Cougar but I think it's somewhere in between the others.  Good luck on finding the missing parts.

The Cougar is a nice kit, I believe it is an updated 1969 era kit with new interior parts added in the 80's. It looks to be the same issue as mine, (bright yellow styrene?). I intend on using the AMT '67 Mercury Comet motor, omitting the spoiler and hood intake, and a wheel change just for the sake of a different look.  

The Revell '69 Shelby is a nice, accurate, troublefree build except for the front valence panel, which needs to be narrowed slightly. After that, it's smooth sailing. I've build two. Great kit. 

The AMT '69 Mach 1 is the old MPC annual tool. It's slightly undersized and has a few minor shape problems, but should produce a fairly acceptable model without too much trouble. 

The AMT '69 Cougar is based on the original annual tool. It was a pretty decent kit in its day and it still is. Not the highest level of detailing, but an easy build to a very acceptable result. 

The AMT '68 Shelby's roots go back to the original AMT annual '67 Mustang tool. It's not a bad kit at all and many fine models have been built from it over the years. 

The AMT '67 Shelby is a much newer tool. I've never built it so can't comment on it, but have seen many great models built from it. 

To sum up, there are no real turds here, though the '69 Mach 1 is definitely the weakest of the lot. I'm tempted to recommend starting with the '69 Cougar. 

• 5 months later...