Model Cars Magazine Forum

help with Paasche H

Just got this Paasche H and when using it I noticed that when I start spraying and adjust the nozzle to get paint to flow then put the airbrush aside for 5 to 10 min. Then I start to spray again and nothing comes out I have to open the paint spray nozzle to get it to flow again and then after it starts I then can lower the the amount of spray. Is that normal? I was spraying MM Acrylic Gloss thinned 50/50 and psi is at 20. It also did the same thing while spraying MM Acrylic paint thinned the same way. All the videos I watched on the AB they never had to adjust the flow every time they restarted spraying again.What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

What are you doing wrong ?? Leaving the airbrush for 5-10 minutes, as the paint is going to dry on the tip, best to do your airbrushing,empty the colour cup, and put the needle and tip in some thinners if you're going to come back to more airbrushing later on, once finished for the day,make sure you give the airbrush a good clean.

Yes, the paint dries quickly and will clog the tip when it does. You cannot let it sit for very long. It is best to do as Geoff says, empty and clean it right away otherwise it can get pretty gummed up and not work properly.

My own thinner I make up has Liquitex retarder in it and this really slows down the tip dry issue. I don't know about leaving the airbrush sitting for ten minutes but it's good for three or four minutes with the retarder in there.

Just to clarify , this is not a Passche H thing but any airbrush will do this with most acrylic paints that have either no flow aid or no retarder in them.. But with the H if the nozzle does get tip dry what I do is completely close the needle and gently wipe off the tip with a little alcohol or acrylic cleaner, then open the needle wide give it a shot or two and reset to my operating setting. By closing the needle the needle protrudes out the tip breaking the clog up and the alcohol melts the clog up.

Also with the Passche H and Model Master I shoot more like 23psi. there is a sweet spot you will find someplace between 20 and 25 psi.I don't like the working pressure with the H to fall under 20psi when using bottles on it, sometimes with the metal color cup I might let it drop a bit more. But I also don't thin MM paint 50/50.

Okay, Thanks for the tips everyone but I'm a little confused. Which is not hard to do! All the videos I've watched  spraying the paint is to spray a couple lite coats then a couple heavy coats then a wet coat  and wait 5-10 min between steps for acrylic and a lot longer for enamels so you guys are stating that I should the remove the jar and clean the tip in between each step?  Thanks.

To do it properly, yes. I usually have several pieces getting sprayed the same color and by the time I am done with a coat on all the parts, it is time to start at the beginning with the next coat. Most times, I can finish spraying without having to stop and clean.

14 hours ago, DDD said:

Okay, Thanks for the tips everyone but I'm a little confused. Which is not hard to do! All the videos I've watched  spraying the paint is to spray a couple lite coats then a couple heavy coats then a wet coat  and wait 5-10 min between steps for acrylic and a lot longer for enamels so you guys are stating that I should the remove the jar and clean the tip in between each step?  Thanks.

I would try adding a little retarder first. If that alone doesn't work for you, then just have a Qtip/cotton bud handy with a little alcohol or thinner in a cup . Dip the Qtip in the thinner and wipe the tip of your airbrush off if it dries on you. As I mentioned already, I have retarder in my thinner blend and haven't had any tip dry issues and MM is one of several acrylic paints I use. Don't over think it, just clean the tip if paint dries on there.

Another thing I do sometimes is have a hair dryer handy and heat set the freshly sprayed paint. You can usually flash dry it off in a minute or two with acrylic paints and move on to a second coat shortly there after.

Edited by Dave G.
Added information

I have a Paasche H.  I rely on checking the viscosity of the paint.  There are different ways of doing this without buying any extra equipment.  I never let the airbrush set for even a minute.  I dis-assemble and soak in acetone.  Also there are good paints and lesser paints.