Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix Bugatti Veyron

• 2 months later...

It is 1/24th scale. I am hacking it about a bit to try to make it more into a scale model. I wish that Airfix had made it like the Revell and Lindberg snap kits with proper interior detail that are more like a standard kit. The Airfix one is so simplified with lego like click together assembly so that kids can build it in about half an hour and play with it. However the external body shape and wheels look good, but one will need to replace the headlamps and rear lamps that are just stickers in the kit. The dash isn't too bad except that the steering wheel is a blank disc on a stalk to take a sticker depicting the steering wheel. The interior will need a lot of work doing to it as there are no interior door panels and the seats are left with lego like male tabs sticking up, and the floor will need attention for the same reason. Airfix could have done a lot more with this kit. Anyway it is a bit of a challenge. As far as I know it is the only 1/24th scale plastic kit of this car. It will be just my luck that Revell or someone else will release one just when I get this one finished!

I know there are expensive kerbside resin kits of the Chiron and the prototype Vision out there in 1/24th scale, but not aware of any other good Veyron kits in resin or plastic kerbside or detailed. There are I believe die casts out there but not sure if any 1/24th scale ones are available.

There are diecast in my local supermarket (tesco for the uk guys) in 1/24. Its not too bad for the price about 8quid i think, the shape looks right and the scale seems ok. It has an interior that could be used possibly to do the airfix kit into something or at least a starting point for one of you guys that details up diecasts. I'm thinking to get one to steal the wheels, steering wheel and seats for one of my vw builds

Do the Airfix kits have decent wheels and tires?  I'm thinking donor kit for something else.

The Airfix kits sound like the kind of kit that my grandkids are into.  That makes them interesting and worthwhile.

Edited by Muncie

• 6 months later...

Muncie, the Airfix Veyron  Tyres are quite good. The wheels outer detailing is also very good except that the backs are hollow but not noticeable when the model is built. I took advantage of this to model disc brakes a!l round on it. I detailed up the interior myself but as another poster suggested a die cast might be cannibalised for this purpose.

• 1 year later...

Airfix Lego like Veyron with a bit of extra work done on it.

A few things were done to improve the model like detailing up the interior a bit by improving the dashboard and seats plus  adding scratch built door panels. replacing the paper sticker headlamp units with clear acrylic cut, drilled from the back, filed to shape and polished, tail lamps made from red acrylic, rear indicators in orange acrylic and PE mesh fitted across rear aperture below. A clear engine cover was made and fitted above engine between the two large air ducts. PE mesh fitted to front intakes plus radiator shell and bare metal foil added. Wheel emblems were chromed with BMF, tyre air valves fitted and the tyres detailed. Door handles and fuel filler caps chromed with Molotow.

BV2.JPG

DSCF9113.JPG

DSCF9108.JPG

DSCF9115.JPG

P1080173.JPG

DSCF9109.JPG

P1080164.JPG

Edited by Bugatti Fan