Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Mild Custom!

John Goschke

This project started back as a replica stock build in 1980 with a mint kit. Now it's finally almost finished as a mild custom!2v2JuyEt8xE7U1V.jpg

Sometime the roof got broken and I tried to fix it but those thin roof pillars were just too fragile. Junk '59 Fury to the rescue! The Plymouth roof is essentially identical to the Dodge. Here I've also stripped the chrome for a replate and started to shave off the extraneous trim from the body.

2v2JHeRbdxE7U1V.jpg

Here she is in fresh Tamiya primer and fresh Little Motor Kar Co. replated bumpers. Still to be removed were the door handles and the large piece of ribbed trim with the "Custom Royal" nameplate at the leading edge of the fin.

2v2JZeBtnxE7U1V.jpg

I decided to remove and reshape the taillight bezels, then have them plated. Custom taillight lenses came from an original issue AMT '57 T-bird kit. Tailpipe extensions were made styrene rod.

2v2ED6yWDxE7U1V.jpg

The JoHan Dodge is quite accurate except for the rear wheel opening shape.  Back when I started the project I reshaped the openings. Here you can see the corrected one compared to an unmodified kit...

2v2ED6ygixE7U1V.jpg

After sectioning the chassis to shorten the wheelbase slightly for a more accurate look, I added material to JoHan's flat chassis so that the model will have a finished look underneath and viewers won't be able to look inside the body through the wheel openings.

2v2ED6yFSxE7U1V.jpg

Now it's in paint! Tamiya Pearl "Light Red" for the main color and a pink mixed from Tamiya Pearl Light Red and Tamiya Pearl White.

2v2EWzTwoxE7U1V.jpg

2v2EWzTP2xE7U1V.jpg

Hope you like it so far!