Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 one of the first woman NASCAR drivers.

Shambles

On 11/5/2019 at 7:39 PM, Greg Rogers said:

John, great job. Wow what really caught my eye is the wrecked #25 in your pic. That looks amazing!! How did you do that??

Hi Greg. I've been into wrecking model cars about as long as I've been building them. Mostly, I use either a soldering torch or a hobby heat gun, then carefully bend the panels. Sometimes I'll take them apart first, then bend the components and put them back together. I've got a page on my website with a few of my more recent ones: http://www.shamblesmodels.com/wrecked.html

WreckedNascar.jpg

Edited by Shambles

I'm still fiddling with Louise's Ford. I couldn't get the chassis to line up on the first kit, so I used one from one of the other kits. Now, the stance ain't right. It may just have to do. I'm gonna weather it, maybe a few battle scars.... Here's where I am this weekend:

IMG_5208.jpeg

IMG_5204.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2019 at 7:04 PM, Shambles said:

I almost forgot to post the (almost) finished Louise Smith Nascar. I'll probably do some weathering but here's where I am now:

IMG_5988.jpg

IMG_5977.jpg

I was watching your build early on but haven't checked in for a while. I think it's looking good since that era of race cars never had the finished appearance we expect today.  If you should want to try to build a correct '51 Ford at a future date check out Star Models. They're listed under the After Market/Resin section on the Forum. They offer several different versions of the '49 thru '51 Fords. I have built a couple of his Crestliner trim versions with the sedans longer roof. He also has a '51 Ford Custom line with the longer roof, correct Grill and Dash and Interior. As a young man I owed a couple of '51,s and for me the tip off on your original picture would have been the Hood Ornament as well as the driver's front fender trim. The Dash and Steering Wheel  in the '51 is very different than the '49 or '50 also as well as the Grill. All needed parts are in the Star Resin kit. 

5 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Looking really good and a very obscure car.  Wondering about the "frosted" glass in the car; is that from racing on the sand at Daytona? ?

I decided to dull coat the whole car and didn't mask off the windows. I sorta like the "sand blasted" Daytona Beach look?

4 hours ago, espo said:

I was watching your build early on but haven't checked in for a while. I think it's looking good since that era of race cars never had the finished appearance we expect today.  If you should want to try to build a correct '51 Ford at a future date check out Star Models. They're listed under the After Market/Resin section on the Forum. They offer several different versions of the '49 thru '51 Fords. I have built a couple of his Crestliner trim versions with the sedans longer roof. He also has a '51 Ford Custom line with the longer roof, correct Grill and Dash and Interior. As a young man I owed a couple of '51,s and for me the tip off on your original picture would have been the Hood Ornament as well as the driver's front fender trim. The Dash and Steering Wheel  in the '51 is very different than the '49 or '50 also as well as the Grill. All needed parts are in the Star Resin kit. 

Thanks, David. I didn't know there were models of this with the longer roof. I've got too many on the bench right now, but will keep Star Models in mind if I do another Ford of that era.