Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 one of the first woman NASCAR drivers.

Shambles

Hey Randy. One kit came with headlight and tail light covers. Looks like the rear windows are a lot longer in the photo than on the model. I'm working on the decals but the guys fueling are blocking the 1/4 panel lettering. I've been searching for more photos of her '49 Ford but no luck.

3 hours ago, Shambles said:

Hey Randy. One kit came with headlight and tail light covers. Looks like the rear windows are a lot longer in the photo than on the model. I'm working on the decals but the guys fueling are blocking the 1/4 panel lettering. I've been searching for more photos of her '49 Ford but no luck.

You are right the roof on the model is shorter than her cars roof was. There were two different roofs on those cars.

21 hours ago, Shambles said:

I thought so too but wasn't sure enough to comment.

On 9/18/2019 at 6:40 AM, MarkJ said:

The cars 3 movie  includes  Louise Smiths 49 ford. So if they got the colors right you could base your model on this picture. Doesn't seem like its right though. I guess the lower color could be pink or tan. Look at a color chart for 49 ford there might be a clue there you could pick up on

lsmith-ford.jpg

FYI.....That is 1950 Nash Ambassador. 

17 hours ago, webestang said:

FYI.....That is 1950 Nash Ambassador. 

Yes, that was already pointed out a few posts above. When they turn a car into a cartoon character sometimes its hard to figure out what the real car its representing is. Sorry I guessed wrong.

14 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

One thing that hasn't been pointed out: the car in this picture is a '51 Ford Deluxe Tudor Sedan - if this was taken in 1950 it would have been late in the year at least.

Just curious why you think its a 51 and not a 50. I googled both of them and they have similar fender emblems and the moulding  with the horizontal feature lines right above the end of the front  bumper  look the same.

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

So you don't think Slot car fever got the colors right. Usually they are pretty accurate.

Yes, I just got the decals from them and they're probably correct so that's what I'll go with. Blue background, yellow numbers, black sponsor letters.

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Just curious why you think its a 51 and not a 50. I googled both of them and they have similar fender emblems and the moulding  with the horizontal feature lines right above the end of the front  bumper  look the same.

Thanks for all the input and interest. One of the kits I'm using is the AMT '49 Tournament of Thrills. The other is the AMT '49 Club Coupe. I assume they're both from the same AMT molds. I have two unopened AMT kits; a 1950 convertible and another '49 coupe. I don't know if Louise actually ever raced a '49 but I'm not talented enough to make a totally accurate reproduction. I ordered two sets of the Slot Car Fever decals. As you can see in the photo, the blue background doesn't reach the ends of the body. Any suggestions?

IMG_3679.jpeg

IMG_3677.jpeg

IMG_3678.jpeg

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

The Deluxe emblem and V8 badge on the front fender were '51-only items, along with the chrome spears on the rear quarters extending to the taillights. Also the '51 Deluxe (base model) had no side trim; all '49s, '50s and '51 Customs had it.

Brochure page from the Old Car Manual Project:

1951_Ford_rev-10-11.thumb.jpg.72de5ab7c82e830ecd310854359477f2.jpg

31 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

The Deluxe emblem and V8 badge on the front fender were '51-only items, along with the chrome spears on the rear quarters extending to the taillights. Also the '51 Deluxe (base model) had no side trim; all '49s, '50s and '51 Customs had it.

Brochure page from the Old Car Manual Project:

1951_Ford_rev-10-11.thumb.jpg.72de5ab7c82e830ecd310854359477f2.jpg

Ok, Chris. Thanks for splaining that to me. Now it is perfectly clear that its a 51. Did anyone make a 51 ford kit?

Edited by MarkJ

• 2 weeks later...

Started working with the SlotCarFever decals. These obviously weren't designed for any specific Louise Smith car, and definitely not for this Ford. Since the decal doesn't cover the entire side of the car like the darker color in the photos, I tried to find a rattle can color as close as possible to the decal color. Now, I'm cutting the decals apart and applying them approximately where the photo shows them. They're still a little too large but I'll try to trim them to fit as best I can.

IMG_4080.jpeg

IMG_4082.jpeg

Hi ! :-)  It's getting started! I see you have more projects at once, too. It's going to be awesome! I like these old cars. I have one question for you, too. Now I'm building an old NASCAR with shiny paint, but I'm looking at a picture of a real racing car at your place, and the colour of the body is half-fat, almost dull. So I'm thinking of putting one older race car dim to the test. How is that right, anyway? Is that a good idea? What do you think?

14 hours ago, Shambles said:

Started working with the SlotCarFever decals. These obviously weren't designed for any specific Louise Smith car, and definitely not for this Ford. Since the decal doesn't cover the entire side of the car like the darker color in the photos, I tried to find a rattle can color as close as possible to the decal color. Now, I'm cutting the decals apart and applying them approximately where the photo shows them. They're still a little too large but I'll try to trim them to fit as best I can.

Heck, there is ONE photo of this car.   Who's to say this is NOT right for the week after?  Or the week before?  I still like the project.  

So , John. I take it these are white decal paper decals. These are the same I have to make for myself when I have anything but a white car. It would probably work better if you cut the decals out exactly on the edge of the numbers and the letters. in other words remove all the blue back ground material. I know it sounds like a lot of work but that's what I have to do with the decals I make for my builds that are made on white decal paper.  The best way to accomplish this and it may sound crazy but install the decal with some blue background material and then after it has set for an hour or so trace around the decal on the model with a #11 exacto knife and remove the excess decal material with a tweezers. It works. 

Hi Mark. Yeah that's what they are. I've done what you suggested with some decals in the distant past, but my eyesight and dexterity ain't what it used to be in the older days. I ordered two sets of these decals, so I've got some room for error. In response to FairFax's questions, I'm planning on doing some light weathering then dull coating the finished car. From the numerous photos I've seen of stock cars from this era, very few were showroom shiny, especially after a few races.

• 2 weeks later...