Model Cars Magazine Forum

Georgia's Bubba Pollard Ford Fusion Super Late Model

roadhawg

Senoia, Georgia's Bubba Pollard is one of the hottest asphalt SLM drivers in the nation right now, and this is his 2015-2016 ride. Big Donkey resin SLM body on a modified AMT nascar chassis. Paint is Tamiya black and white, decals are from Speedway Decals. As per my usual style, built curbside. The next time I build one of these, I'm going to try to remove that aero thing on the rear window (the resin body uses all the glass from the Nascar kit.) . I wish I could paint those tiny stripes on the wheels, but every time I try it looks horrible. Any tips for that? And thanks for looking! 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Beautiful job on the car. 

I work in the dirt late model industry and have seen him a race a few times on dirt. He's a colorful individual that the sport needs more of.

The wheel lines are quite easy. I was frustrated myself until I was instructed how. Then I felt kinda dumb. It only works if the plastic of the wheels are white. Take the edge of your knife, hold it steady in one hand. In the other hand, take the wheel and rotate it to where the very edge of the rim scrapes the knife. When doing so, be delicate, but make sure that the knife is scraping through the paint/primer. Once you get the paint/primer scraped off, use a red or yellow sharpie and color the white of the wheel. 

On the attached car, I need to scrape the lines a little more to make the red a little more distinct. 

IMG_7454.jpg.baedbda77cee50ccf32ad2a53c580242.jpg

Your model is outstanding.

As far as the stripe on the wheel, I have been doing this for some time.  Others have mentioned how its done.  Here are are a couple of tips that may help.  If the wheel is not white, I will paint it.  The thing that helps is to use the knife blade at a real shallow angle and scrape only about 1/8" at a time.  If the knife blade is too vertical in relation to the wheel, the blade can bounce across the wheel and cause gouges.  The last thing is that dull knife blades in this instance are your friend.

37 minutes ago, Old Coyote said:

Beautiful build of a very unique vehicle. Well done.

And I have used the scrape the rim wit a #11 blade to get the stripe for years .... the following truck was built almost 20 years ago

Bayer3 - Copy.jpg

Perfect example , John. Looks just right.