Model Cars Magazine Forum

bbowser

Bench time has been at a premium this summer, too much to do outside.  Started this one back in the spring, just finished.  I'm a little disappointed in the Salvinos JR kit, goes together a lot like the Polar Lights kits I.E. a lot of fit issues.  The hood was warped on mine so I just glued it shut and eliminated a lot of the parts underneath, fodder for a future project.  The decals from Cartograph however were outstanding.  All in all I'm not unhappy with how it came out, looks good on the shelf.  Comments welcome, thanks for looking.

DSCN4978.JPG

DSCN4979.JPG

DSCN4980.JPG

DSCN4981.JPG

13 hours ago, Ironman63 said:

Great looking build.  The decals really stand out even on the tires.

It's disappointing to hear the Salvino Jr. kits are hard to work with.  I have plans to build 2 Chevys and 2 Olds(3 for Earnhardt Sr. & Neil Bonnett's Armor All) later on.

I agree. For that kind of money that baby should fit together like a revell kit. I've always had issues with amt kits. for some reason it takes a court order to get the frame to fit to the body on the fiftys and sixtys cars. I had to use screws once to get them to stay together on one build.

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

I agree. For that kind of money that baby should fit together like a revell kit. I've always had issues with amt kits. for some reason it takes a court order to get the frame to fit to the body on the fiftys and sixtys cars. I had to use screws once to get them to stay together on one build.

I guess we got spoiled with the Monogram kits back in the 90s and the Moebius kits more recently.  I truly hope Salvinos can make a go of it, I really like the subject matter.

1 hour ago, bbowser said:

I guess we got spoiled with the Monogram kits back in the 90s and the Moebius kits more recently.  I truly hope Salvinos can make a go of it, I really like the subject matter.

The Monogram kits are easy as far as fit issues.  Like you, I hope Salvinos can make it as well because what they are cranking out are desirable to fans of NASCAR from the 70's and up.  And a lot of their kits can be used to make cars for several drivers with aftermarket decals.  I don't know what they have announced but if the licensing isn't ridiculously expensive, they should consider producing kits of other popular drivers of the late '70s & early 80's since a change of decals opens up to a wider fanbase.  And with time, maybe they figure out the fit issues.

5 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Great looking build, Bruce!  I’m always interested in learning how other modelers do things, can you tell me how you handled the two tone paint?  Did you use the decals as a template for masking?  Thanks!

Thanks for all the complements!  John, I cut out the stripe decals and traced them onto masking tape then applied to the body.  I painted the black first.

Not complaining....I haven't built a Salvino's JR kit....but I'm wondering about the fit of the glass.  Looks to be too far insert into the interior, where I'm like the rest, other kits fit flush and then the tires/rims. They look just enough "off" to make you look twice....

but that's just my opinion!!  overall, I look the stance and the look that you achieved.  thanks for sharing...BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH nice build!

19 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Great looking build, Bruce!  I’m always interested in learning how other modelers do things, can you tell me how you handled the two tone paint?  Did you use the decals as a template for masking?  Thanks!

Thank you for the reply!

Beautiful build! Ah, those were the days when "stock" cars still looked stock. Buddy Baker was an entertaining NASCAR commentator for a while too.

Monogram kits were always my favorite and I built dozens of them back in the 80s and 90s.

Edited by Shambles