Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Buick Rivera

mrmike

16 hours ago, mrmike said:

I got the Riviera interior finished.  Have a look... 

More Buick to come...

Buick22.JPG

Buick23.JPG

Buick24.JPG

Thanks Michael and Keith!  Micahel, I painted the interior with Tamiya AS-15 Tan (USAF).  It has a semi-gloss effect when sprayed from the can.  

I painted the grille with Tamiya X-1 Flat Black paint, waited a few minutes and then I wiped off the grille bars.  The headlight covers were painted with Model Master Metalizer Aluminium.  The taillights were painted with Tamiya X-27 Clear Red and the backup lights were painted with Tamiya XF-2 Flat White.

More Buick to come...

Buick25.JPG

Buick26.JPG

Buick27.JPG

After polishing the body and installing the chassis, I went looking for the radiator hoses only to find that there are none!  None in the box nor are any called out for in the instructions!  There no holes in the radiator, either!  So, with ingenuity being the mother of invention, I got out a hose from the parts box and a piece of styrene rod and inserted the rod into the hose and glued it to the intake manifold.  When that has dried solid, I'll do the same to the other end and glue it to the radiator.

More Buick to come...

Buick34.JPG

Buick35.JPG

Buick36.JPG

That's really looking great. 

I'm not sure if you're going totally factory stock with the chrome rallye wheels but if you do, 

in '65 the detail paint on the wheels was grey, not black like almost everyone thinks. It looks like it was only that year and was indeed black from '66 on.

1965 Buick Full Line-02-03

Steve, this is the first time I have seen a grey painted Road wheel on the '65 Riviera.  All the pictures I have seen show the wheel with black highlights, not grey.  Grey painted Road wheels may have been an option (grey or black) or was color keyed to the exterior color.  I will never know.  My Riviera will be factory stock...more or less.  It will have white lettered BF Goodrich tires which was not factory stock, but more of a "Day 2" appearance.  Thanks for showing me the grey painted wheels, Steve.  

6 hours ago, mrmike said:

Steve, this is the first time I have seen a grey painted Road wheel on the '65 Riviera.  All the pictures I have seen show the wheel with black highlights, not grey.  Grey painted Road wheels may have been an option (grey or black) or was color keyed to the exterior color.  I will never know.  My Riviera will be factory stock...more or less.  It will have white lettered BF Goodrich tires which was not factory stock, but more of a "Day 2" appearance.  Thanks for showing me the grey painted wheels, Steve.  

Yea, I've grown up with Buicks and have owned quite a few, including a couple Rivieras and haven't seen any in grey personally either. 

But, all the advertising from '64 when they were introduced and in the '65 brochure show them in grey. 

I'm not telling you how to build your car, just throwing out some information. Do with it as you like.

I do thank you for the infromation, Steve!  It's definitely good to know, but I will be sticking with the black as it does look better to my eye.

Well, it was bound to happen soon or later.  I reach over the Riviera to reach a tube of superglue and when I had lifted the tube by the cap, the cap came off and the tube spilled onto the Riviera's left front fender.  My heart just sank!  I sanded the fender and got it as smooth as I could, reprimered, repainted and reglossed the fender.  The fender is now slightly darker than the rest of the body.  I'll have to refoil the trim that I had to remove and polish the paint.  Lesson learned...tightly recap a bottle or tube of whatever I had used!

More Buick to come...

Buick37.JPG

Buick38.JPG

Buick39.JPG