Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blower Bentley

Lizard Racing

I've been wanting to something a bit different in the racecar area.  I saw this Heller Blower Bentley on Amazon, so I gave it a try,

I had not done a Heller kit before. Things went together well, but the hood halves do not fit tight.  So unless you glue them on and make a curbside out of the car, be prepared for the hood to fall off. I'm not a big fan of wire wheels, but these come out pretty good.  Detail is decent.  The decals do not look like they will stick very well.

Bentleys had won at Le Mans for some years when in 1930 a supercharged model appeared, against W. O. Bentley's better judgement.  It lasted 144 laps when the engine failed. Blower Bentleys were fast for a while, but they always seemed to break.  But they get all the publicity.

Have fun looking!

ben1.jpg.22d5cb026efba48632e85d6bab4c5dec.jpg

ben3.jpg.8eeae78497a1c4c96b3e172d320c2606.jpg

ben2.jpg.6f24745d93653c7f2e78337c1573ad3e.jpg

I always enjoy seeing models of classics. You did a great job building on this Bentley which definitely was an awesome car for its time. I once got placed behind a Bentley from the same era with dualie rear wheels and tires for what I had hoped would be fast parade laps of Pacific Raceways. I was in my 65 Falcon V8 4-speed. I figured I would never have a chance to get up to speed but it turned out the Bentley was driven by the Chief Track Marshall and that car had a huge amount of torque and the weight and extra tires meant it really stuck through the corners. I Had to hustle to keep up. It was a real surprise. 

On 2/9/2020 at 2:53 AM, Phildaupho said:

I always enjoy seeing models of classics. You did a great job building on this Bentley which definitely was an awesome car for its time. I once got placed behind a Bentley from the same era with dualie rear wheels and tires for what I had hoped would be fast parade laps of Pacific Raceways. I was in my 65 Falcon V8 4-speed. I figured I would never have a chance to get up to speed but it turned out the Bentley was driven by the Chief Track Marshall and that car had a huge amount of torque and the weight and extra tires meant it really stuck through the corners. I Had to hustle to keep up. It was a real surprise. 

Vintage Bentleys are a passion of mine, my father owned a 1930 Speed 6 when I was in my 'teens and i absorbed all about the cars. But I never saw one like that!

Have you got any photos?

A properly set up Blower with the right bodywork - like on this lovely model - is good for 125 miles per hour, the team cars and other tuned ones even more.

Many of the more sporting ones would give a 65 Falcon a run for it's money on a racetrack. Not so much off the lights.

Thanks,

-Don. 

8 hours ago, DonW said:

Vintage Bentleys are a passion of mine, my father owned a 1930 Speed 6 when I was in my 'teens and i absorbed all about the cars. But I never saw one like that!

Have you got any photos?

A properly set up Blower with the right bodywork - like on this lovely model - is good for 125 miles per hour, the team cars and other tuned ones even more.

Many of the more sporting ones would give a 65 Falcon a run for it's money on a racetrack. Not so much off the lights.

Thanks,

-Don. 

It must have been this one although clearly it does not have dual rear wheels. Were they put on for the parade laps or is my memory playing tricks with me. Albeit that Bentley was mighty impressive when driven with gusto !!

2vQ6Y8ZvximYT.jpg

4 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

It must have been this one although clearly it does not have dual rear wheels. Were they put on for the parade laps or is my memory playing tricks with me. Albeit that Bentley was mighty impressive when driven with gusto !!

No wonder it went so well. That's a Speed Six, 6597cc / 402 cubic inches, OHC and 4 valves per cylinder. What identifies it are the parallel sides to the radiator itself and the cylindrical alloy casting in front of the radiator, between the dumb-irons, which is the dynamo. Only the Speed Six and the Big Six had this. Not to be confused with the supercharger that sat in the same place on the Blower four and a half litre cars.

Thanks for posting, Phil

-Don.

Edited by DonW