Model Cars Magazine Forum

Single Carb Boss 429 Intake Manifold

23 hours ago, VRM said:

Does anybody have a single carb Boss 429 manifold that fits the Rep and Min (or Johan Comet) 428 25th scale motor?

Thanks!

Steve D.

I may one in my parts box - you don't possibly have a pic of it?

Also I was able to modify the 1/24 scale single carb manifold from the Revellogram Cobra to fit the Parts Pack 1/25 scale 427 engine .  Not sure if the port spacing on a 429 would be different enough from a 427  to matter in scale. 

DSCN2999

I found a Polar Lights set on Ebay that looks like it might do the trick.  The 427 blocks have a much larger deck for the intake manifold than the 429.  The 429 is really pretty narrow.  I will check the fit when the parts arrive and will post here if it works out.  I will likely send one on to Nrom at Rep and Min to (hopefully) add to his excellent casting of the 429.

The Polar Lights 429 NASCAR engine worked quite nicely.  I also replace the Rep and Min front end as the whole assembly would add about 1.5mm less to the front end length.

Goes together really well, and the Rep and Min engine has the really good stock valve covers.

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

Well, the updated Revell 69 Boss 302 has a great new flat hood and nose...and the 25th scale 429 seems to fit (snugly, but no mods needed) in the engine bay.  Battery is removed and the hood scoop from the 24th Revell does not look too large.  Wheels, interior, and nearly everything else are perfect for the Boss 429.

I still need to cut a 15.5mm hole in the hood.

I do have to redo the fan belt for thermactor, and PS pump, but that should be no big deal.

The particular car I am doing is a '69, but it may have had a black scoop like the '70s.  The restoration has not yet started, so the restorer has not yet figured out that part.  I am setting up the hood scoop to possibly be removed and repainted if he finds out that it was originally black.

50 minutes ago, VRM said:

Well, the updated Revell 69 Boss 302 has a great new flat hood and nose...and the 25th scale 429 seems to fit (snugly, but no mods needed) in the engine bay.  Battery is removed and the hood scoop from the 24th Revell does not look too large.  Wheels, interior, and nearly everything else are perfect for the Boss 429.

I still need to cut a 15.5mm hole in the hood.

I do have to redo the fan belt for thermactor, and PS pump, but that should be no big deal.

The particular car I am doing is a '69, but it may have had a black scoop like the '70s.  The restoration has not yet started, so the restorer has not yet figured out that part.  I am setting up the hood scoop to possibly be removed and repainted if he finds out that it was originally black.

Sounds like a cool project.  All 69 Boss 429's were one of five colors and the scoop was also painted body color.

50 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Sounds like a cool project.  All 69 Boss 429's were one of five colors and the scoop was also painted body color.

So sure you are young padawan...?

Check 1:30 -  

Of course there would not be any Ford or Mercury race cars without there being the street versions of the Mustang.  Since that isn't an "original" color according to the conventional info available, maybe it was a special order or a late VIN with the some of the 1970 changes.  A VIN # and Marti report would confirm the body color but probably not provide any info on the scoop color.

IMG_6894.PNG

5 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Since that isn't an "original" color according to the conventional info available, maybe it was a special order or a late VIN with the some of the 1970 changes.

Just giving you a hard time Rex.?  You might not know me, but I am not a noob at research.  I like to find the unique and oddball things -  the car I'm doing is not the one in the video, but I posted the video to demonstrate that saying things like 'All 69 Boss 429's were one of five colors' might not always be accurate.

I am fully aware of the conventional data, I just like to dig deeper - there is almost always something deeper.  In this case there is a small handful of prototypes and production '69 Boss 429s with other features.  I am doing one of the production cars.

I should probably go post it in the workbench section as I make progress.

Cheers!

Steve