Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remove chrome on 440 valve covers . Ideas ?

On the bench here we have  the Revell 1:25 scale '68 Dodge Dart Hemi , Special Edition , 2 in 1 kit . We've opted for the 440 power plant over the 426 Hemi.

Can the chrome be stripped off the valve covers or could we primer over them with Tamiya Primer before painting ?

A couple of older kits we used Tamiya thinner on a couple of chrome pieces and they were clean in about a minute .

We've tried the same procedure on these valve covers and had no luck .

Any suggestions ?

Thanks .

Butler.

Easy-Off has always worked for me. Use the full-strength, original Easy-Off in the yellow can, not the "fume-free" stuff in the blue can. People who have used it say the fume-free Easy-Off is not as strong.

WARNING: Easy-Off is nasty and dangerous.  Wear heavy gloves and a respirator, or at least a face mask. You do not want Easy-Off on your skin, or in your lungs.

I spray the Easy-Off into a ZipLoc bag, throw the chrome parts into the bag, then spray a little more Easy-Off on top.  Then I seal the ZipLoc bag and let it sit overnight. 

Wearing the safety gear, the next day I take the parts out of the bag and scrub them with an old toothbrush, using hot water and a little dish soap.  This procedure almost always leaves the parts completely de-chromed and ready for paint.

For very thick chrome: before doing the Easy-Off thing, use a knife to scrape away some of the chrome plating.  This lets the Easy-Off get under the chrome plating and eat away at it.