Model Cars Magazine Forum

So...talk to me about brushes

I have an assortment of brushes obtained from various sources over the years, many of which are getting to the point where they should probably be replaced. 

My go-to detail paints are Testors/Model Master and Humbrol enamels, but I have some acrylics that I like to use for certain things as well.  I mention that only because one article I read indicated that sable brushes are best for enamels and synthetic brushes work better with acrylics.  (The author said it had something to do with pH).  

I found a set I'm kinda interested in because of the variety of brushes as well as the ergonomic factor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Detail-Paint-Brush-Set-15-Tiny-Professional-Miniature-Fine-Detail-Brushes/223394888221?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225074%26meid%3D893f894c258e433682c1db6ee316fa82%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D153534538738%26itm%3D223394888221%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A5c1e0634-7138-11ea-89f9-74dbd180c4de|parentrq%3A22fa13561710ac3cf90de32ffff9cae4|iid%3A1

but I'd like some feedback on them from those who really know this stuff.  

Also, if you have a set that you'd recommend, pics and links would be appreciated.  I'd be interested to know why you like them so well.   

15 little brushes for $23? That's not a bad deal at all, certainly worth a try. 

Back in my model airplane days, I used to pay $3-$7 for a single little brush. 

Couple years ago I discovered the brush sets in the craft department at Walmart. They usually have one or more sets of various sizes, which includes at least two or three nice small brushes. I've used them and they last a good long time. Best of all, the whole sets are only $4 or $5. 

I know what you mean about some of the higher priced ones.  I've paid around $8.00 for what was purported to be a sable 20/0 brush and nearly the same for a sable 10/0.  To a certain extent, I'd rather overpay for quality than use something like this

aa5.png.7bd3c3f62b22f5c63211faf141d8b642.png

I'm still hoping someone with some real knowledge about these things will chime in on the differences (if any) between sables and synthetics.  

I use brushes ,..alot,..always have, from the wayback machine painting figures, and I have always loved pure bristle brushes.

XD6YO3F.jpg

These are my good brushes Winsor & Newton, Vallejo, Humbrol-Airfix, and Tamiya pure bristle

cDndHYV.jpg

These are synthetic ..notice the curled ends and actual afro happening on the one..lol

I like to be able to use the brush for anything and wash it in anything, including ,..sometimes Lacquer thinner, and synthetics do not like that. at. all.

Sometimes the inexpensive "bristle" brushes will curl too, ... you get you pay for basically

Brushes are a very integral part of building models. I suggest basing your brush selection on past experience and don't hesitate to spend a little extra to get a design that works best for you.  I think the proper care of the brushes is just as important. I can only give you an idea of what I do, I'm sure that there are many here that do things a little different, and again it's up to you.  I have two sets of brushes that I use and that is based on the type of paint I'm using. I use two different brands of paint, Tamiya and Model Masters. They are both quality products but offer some unique finishes that are different from one another. My cleaning process is much the same between the different sets up to a point. First I'll draw the excess paint off of the brush by running it lightly over a paper towel to remove any excess paint from the brush. Next I'll hold the brush in a container of water and gentle swirl the brush and never let it sit with the bristles resting on the bottom of the container. Next is the only difference that I use. The Model Master paints are next cleaned in that brands brush cleaner and the same for Tamiya I use their cleaner for those brushes. Then I draw the brush against another paper towel to draw out any remaining cleaning fluids. I realize this is a long drawn out bit of information that you didn't really ask about. But I give it because I feel that no matter what brush you select it's care and maintenance are the most important part to keep a brush performing the way you want and last for years. You may already be doing all or some of these things now, and if you have an idea that may be better I would like to learn about that also.    

1 hour ago, espo said:I realize this is a long drawn out bit of information that you didn't really ask about. But I give it because I feel that no matter what brush you select it's care and maintenance are the most important part to keep a brush performing the way you want and last for years.

I do like to buy quality brushes, but you would be absolutely horrified if you saw me cleaning them!?