Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Airbrush paint and best airbrush paint remover

Hello, I'm a teen boy looking for some help since my father doesn't want to help me model, and I was wondering what the best airbrush paint is at the cheapest price. I understand that cheaper paint may result in cheaper looking surfaces, but I'm looking for the best paint at the cheapest price. I'm also looking for some paint remover that is able to remove chrome and the paint that you guys may have recommended to me. If any of you are looking to give away paint or sell airbrush paint to me, let me know! I live in Statesville, NC if any of you want to know.

9 hours ago, smirker said:

Hello, I'm a teen boy looking for some help since my father doesn't want to help me model, and I was wondering what the best airbrush paint is at the cheapest price. I understand that cheaper paint may result in cheaper looking surfaces, but I'm looking for the best paint at the cheapest price. I'm also looking for some paint remover that is able to remove chrome and the paint that you guys may have recommended to me. If any of you are looking to give away paint or sell airbrush paint to me, let me know! I live in Statesville, NC if any of you want to know.

Done right you can use Apple Barrel water base and Future as the clear coat. Apple barrel is pretty cheap at WalMart. There are numerous posts on this topic on the forum if you'd care to take some time to find them. Stripping chrome also has many posts.

My recommendation is to get Mr. Color.. they are cheaper than testors when you buy here.  Also get their thinner/leveler.  

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/black-gloss/GSI000000C2/product.php?s=3&t=1&u=1&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&man=GSI

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/mr-color-thinner-400ml/GSI0000T104/product.php?kw=mr,color,thinner

This paint thins 1:2 or 1:3 paint to thinner

Or you could buy and decant Tamiya Spray paints and/or use Tamiya acrylics using the same thinner above.

If the smell of paint fumes is an issue, you'll have to use acrylics. Personally,  I've never made the craft paint/Future combination work. Cheap and easy to remove if needed though. 91% isopropyl alcohol will remove acrylics and most lacquers. Super clean will too and it strips chrome finishes. 

7 hours ago, Miatatom said:

If the smell of paint fumes is an issue, you'll have to use acrylics. Personally,  I've never made the craft paint/Future combination work. Cheap and easy to remove if needed though. 91% isopropyl alcohol will remove acrylics and most lacquers. Super clean will too and it strips chrome finishes. 

Good luck trying to find isopropyl alcohol of any kind these days!