Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Ford Coupe 60's Hot Rod

Dennis Lacy

On 8/23/2020 at 10:23 PM, Sam I Am said:

WoW oh WoW oh WoW !!! 

That is about the perfect '30 coupe...for me. I love every part of it.  

My dad collected and restored many an old car, his first love was the Model T, but we had A's also. While he never did anything with the chopped '30 coupe body. We did have a nice full fendered '30 pickup with a 32 grill, radiator,  and flathead 60. It all lined up perfectly.  It was a faded baby blue with red wheels. Someday I want to build a model of it.

Oh, and I grew up in Salem, OR. There was this guy down in Grant's Pass that put out some awesome 32 ford parts. ?

Thank you! Your dads old truck sounds really neat. Those 60hp engines are pretty gutless but probably not as bad in a lighter Model A? I had a ‘38 standard sedan in the shop a few years ago that was an all-original low mile survivor and it had a V8-60. Dangerously slow in that big, heavy car!

On 8/24/2020 at 5:44 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

It's coming together very nicely.

I think it was partly inspired by seeing the effect it had here, but I've recently got hold of some Tamiya TS flat and semi-gloss clear. I look forward to seeing what it will do, I should be using both in the next few days. Should open up some interesting colour/finish options.

Right on. It’s neat the effects the different clears can create. Like the wheels on this model. Normally the Silver Leaf is a bright, shiny silver. Like a space suit in an old 50’s si-fi movie. But hit it with flat clear and it dries to a textured, as-cast finish. 

The other thing I’ve been doing lately is spraying the exhaust pipes with Tamiya “Mica Silver” then hitting them with the flat clear. It ends up a dull metallic finish similar to the aluminized coating that comes on new mild steel 1:1 exhaust pipes to keep them from rusting. 

UPDATE!

A small update but an important one. Got the fuel lines made up. Used Detail Master #1 line and fittings. The T-fitting is made from .040" square rod. Now the engine looks more complete except that I still need to cut an upper "hose" to fit. 

1598759334493-vi.jpg

1598759344055-vi.jpg

I also painted the inside of the body flat black today. All that's left now is to install the glass and assemble the interior then the body can be glued down. No more updates. Next post will be in the finished section.