Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Monogram's GM F-Body Alston Pro/Stock Chassis

Fabrux

My interest in this particular set of kits stemmed from coming across the Model King issue of the Firebird in a closeout shop. I looked for more information on that kit, it's relationship to the Camaro kits and, well, just had to write an article! 

https://sprue.xyz/2020/04/12/history-of-monograms-gm-f-body-alston-pro-stock-chassis/

As with my previous articles, please help me increase my accuracy of you know my assumptions to be false. Thanks for checking it out!

10 hours ago, 68shortfleet said:

So the 1992 release STP Firebird and the 1992 release Pennzoil Firebird were both released as kit 7499?

I suspect that's a typo, but maybe not.

That was indeed a typo and has been fixed. Thanks for catching that. 

9 hours ago, Casey said:

One more to add, pic from someone's fotki account:

Whoa, that is interesting! It is listed as 1:25 scale, suggesting that it isn't related to this chassis. It does look like a rebox of the Pennzoil Firebird with smoked windows, though. If only there was a number on that box!

Edited by Fabrux

7 hours ago, Fabrux said:

Whoa, that is interesting! It is listed as 1:25 scale, suggesting that it isn't related to this chassis. It does look like a rebox of the Pennzoil Firebird with smoked windows, though. If only there was a number on that box!

Is this also by chance a typo on that box? It list the Camaro on top as 1/24. But isn't the Revell Camaro kit actually 1/25? Basically they got the scales backwards on this particular box?

3 hours ago, 68shortfleet said:

Is this also by chance a typo on that box? It list the Camaro on top as 1/24. But isn't the Revell Camaro kit actually 1/25? Basically they got the scales backwards on this particular box?

I think Jason's right on this Chris. That's definitly the Revell 1/25 Yenko Camaro. Mistakes like that happen all the time.

Another thing that changed on these kits was the roll cage.  In the stp and pennzoil kits more bars where added around the drivers seat, the 4th gen firebird had a narrower cage, in the current kit the cage is still the narrow one.

Edited by 10camaross

On 4/13/2020 at 6:54 PM, Fabrux said:

My interest in this particular set of kits stemmed from coming across the Model King issue of the Firebird in a closeout shop. I looked for more information on that kit, it's relationship to the Camaro kits and, well, just had to write an article! 

https://sprue.xyz/2020/04/12/history-of-monograms-gm-f-body-alston-pro-stock-chassis/

As with my previous articles, please help me increase my accuracy of you know my assumptions to be false. Thanks for checking it out!

I can't add anything, but I did read through most of your articles.   Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

It pretty much sums it up.
I have most of these kits bought when they were new and have followed the changes for the different versions over the years.
The first versions wasn't that bad but the latest versions has some issues with fitment and stance, and as you say the latest Reher & Morrison and Frank Iaconio versions are a mishmash of all previous versions and not at all like the originals from 1984.

The Monogram Thunderbird Pro Stock kits initially issued 1984 didn't have the same evolution as the Camaro/Firebird Pro Stock kits.
There were only two basic versions of them, the 1984 version of Bob Glidden's and Rickie Smith's cars and it was reissued 1986 as Frank Iaconio's car and a Pro Street version called "Red Hot".
This tooling was later changed to a later Bob Glidden car with a 1987 body and Motorcraft sponsor in 1988, but basically the same chassis and drive train, this kit was reissued again under the Revell name in 2013, to my knowledge unchanged.
There is a Pro Street version of a late 80's Thunderbird in 1990, the Matt and Debbie Hayes car, but that tooling has no relation to the Pro Stock kits.

Edited by Force

On 4/18/2020 at 9:59 PM, Fabrux said:

Thanks, Hakan! I figured if anyone on here would find holes it would be you. ?

I'll do my best to help where I can. :)
As I have been a fan of drag racing almost all my life I have bought most of the drag related kits that has came out since I started building car kits back in the 70's, so I have picked up things here and there over the years.
One thing that could have something to do with the lack of more Ford Pro Stock kits was that Bob Glidden who raced Thunderbirds from 1983 to 1988 changed to a Ford Probe for 1989 to the end of his Ford era and he was one of the few still racing Fords, and Revell/Monogram didn't do a kit of that one.

Edited by Force

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I don't know how many times I passed on the "Pro/Street" cars on the vendors tables when I should have been snapping them up! 

It must be the excessive tri-color graphics and gold chrome. Can't blame you, really. ?

• 2 months later...