Model Cars Magazine Forum

29 Roadster

bill-e-boy

I see the Revel 29 Roadster has been re-released albeit with a different motor

This build was done about 2-3 years ago and is inspired by some pix I saw online. The theme is AV8 hi-boy roadster

The bog stock Revel kit sits way too high so this needed to be addressed as well

IMG_4738.JPG

Next up was the install of the motor

The flathead option from the Revell 32 Tudor sedan was chosen

The flathead from motor mount was installed behind the front cross member and this fitted with little modification - unfortunately no pix 

The complete unit of motor and gearbox was used from the 32 kit

The lowered rear end posed a problem with the coil-overs now too long

The answer was to spend some time on my Unimat 3 lathe to machine up a set of coil overs

The spring was made by winding some silver wire on a screw and trimming to length

Next up paint - dark blue with two tone light/dark blue interior

IMG_1328.JPG

"That’s some nice work on the frame, thanks for showing us your work. I am not very familiar with this kit, how much of the rear frame did you change? "

Hi Jeff

Below is a pix of the original frame

I cut off the raised portion and made a new piece with mounts for the floor. There are spacers added to raise the new piece for rear axle clearance

IMG_4587a.jpg

I had a look through my computer that I store pix from my SLR camera and found some more photos of the front end and the engine mount from the 32 Tudor

The first shows the front end - way too high for my liking

The next is the original front end cut out of the frame in preparation for the flat cross member

The last one has cross member from the 32 Sedan for the flat head motor. The nail head motor mounts have been cut away as well

IMG_4280a.jpg

IMG_4281a.jpg

IMG_6907a.jpg

Next up is some photos of the sequence of the manufacture of the coil over shocks

The base material is ally which has been machined to shape

The C/O shaft is stainless steel filler wire and the coils are copper wire strands stripped out of household electrical cable - lots of uses for copper strands from almost any cable

In the dark ages I used painted fuse wire for spark plug leads - held its shape way better than sewing thread or nylon fishing line - I'm talking real dark ages here  

IMG_6899a.jpg

IMG_6902a.jpg

IMG_6903a.jpg

IMG_6905a.jpg