Model Cars Magazine Forum

This will be a trailer to display engines at car shows. I will use AMT's display case trailer and go from there. It will have a flip up side and likely a platform along the side for people to stand on to view the engines on display. The original discussions are in this thread: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/151869-a-few-questions-about-the-next-build/

The trailer itself is done save for the fenders which need another coat of paint. Glued the panel hinges ro the roof. The white bar is to keep the roof straight while the glue dries. It has a bow to it. Clear plastic isn't malleable like styrene so I did not dare bend it backwards.

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

On 5/2/2020 at 8:37 PM, landman said:

When I attempted to glue the end hinges one came off the roof, the corner of the box came apart so I retired the project for the time being until the urge to fling it against the wall passes.

Maybe epoxy would hold better.  This kit has been on my bench more than once , but I could not get enough clamps to hold it straight. One day. 

7 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Maybe epoxy would hold better.  This kit has been on my bench more than once , but I could not get enough clamps to hold it straight. One day. 

I thought about epoxy. I glued an aluminum rod in the inner outside curve of the roof to see if it will hold it straight. we'll see.

19 hours ago, espo said:

This is really look'n good. I really like it. Now I want to find one. 

9 hours ago, slusher said:

Looks great Pat!

8 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

Great idea for this trailer.... Very nice work...

Thanks guys. Next is to figure out a roll-in roll-out dolly that fits on a fork lift, gets deposited at the rear of the trailer and pushed in by hand.

Consider looking at the wooden pallets used for shipping most products in the 1:1 scale. These are designed to be moved as needed with a Fork Lift or a manual Roll Around Jack. Another idea would be to have a flat base with small simulated wheels or blocks under it with an opening under it for the Fork Lift to pick it up. Simulating a wooden pallet with strips of plastic may end up being on the unrealistic thick side. What ever you make, the size of the forks should be the main consideration as you want something with an opening just big enough for the forks. What a cool idea to have your displays moveable like this.