Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crushing Model Cars

13 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Never heard of this one before. Any idea when it was on the market? Box art makes me think 1970's or 80's? Even though I was a kid of the 1960's, this one looks pretty cool to me. 

I seem to recall having mine in the early 1980s. IIRC, my aunt bought it for me at a Service Merchandise store in Syracuse NY (a reasonably close shopping trip for all the stuff you couldn’t buy in Canada at the time).

I so remember wanting that when I was a kid, but since I didn't get it, I did the next best thing - pressing heavy duty aluminum foil on Matchbox and Hot Wheels and making the chassis with cardboard and extra wheelsets.

Then playing Car Crash with them.

Great Fun!!!

Had a building buddy long ago who liked to drive a nail into a crack in his basement floor, tie a bunch of rubber bands together end to end, wrap the middle of the chain of rubber bands around that nail. Then we'd both take a car and secure either end of the rubber band chain to the front bumper of the model, stretch them apart as far as we could, and on the count of three let go!

We then would reassemble the pieces and do it again a couple days later after the glue dried. Used his models, his idea, I just aided in the destruction. He gravitated towards factory stock, quick builds OTB, wheels had to roll, whereas I was into drag cars, rods and customs, and paint detailed mine.

Now that I think back, many a currently hard to find Johan kit met it's demise then.

Me? I'd use firecrackers or a BB gun.

On 5/31/2020 at 12:21 PM, alexis said:

I used a Vice in my dad's workshop. I killed some Matchbox cars that are probably worth a mint today. A few Hotwheels too.

Many of my Hot Wheels met their end with the help of the bench vise. 

4 hours ago, Chitown said:

Me? I'd use firecrackers or a BB gun.

Couldn’t get firecrackers in Canada, but sent a few flying with Estes rocket motors.