Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 chrysler vg valiant

michelle

5 minutes ago, michelle said:

thanks it is a australian chrysler so it would be right hand drive 

I didn't know of a kit issued with the right hand drive or if you made the change yourself, or if the negative got flipped but no one uses a film camera anymore. 

58 minutes ago, espo said:

I didn't know of a kit issued with the right hand drive or if you made the change yourself, or if the negative got flipped but no one uses a film camera anymore. 

i made the change myself by cutting the dash apart and puting back together 

11 minutes ago, crossfire 2004 said:

This build bought back many happy memories for me as I owned a number of Australian Mopars, VE ‘s , VF’s and VH’s.

Heres a shot of my old VF convertible .

748C7AFD-9A3D-4B7A-90C0-B7257514B8C0.jpeg.3f7a507891fcb14a9f51aa7182a1adbb.jpeg

thank you  and very cool i think i will make a few more different aussie valiants they all look cool and more intersting then  the simular  us chryslers which i think are darts 

9 minutes ago, michelle said:

thank you  and very cool i think i will make a few more different aussie valiants they all look cool and more intersting then  the simular  us chryslers which i think are darts 

The VF and VG coupes were essentially Darts. The VF had the ‘leaning tower of power’ slant 6  while the VG used the new upright hemi 6. The convertibles were built from coupes with much underbody strengthening.

My VE sedan and VH wagon.

2C2F7EF7-D25C-4E49-B738-3CD3E472243A.jpeg.2d2726432501133aa30217caf6b90c25.jpegE6F19850-7B15-48F9-9A2C-8D6D8FB0929B.jpeg.6ecf809dadc5c4a058c9bf2abb44846b.jpeg

Edited by crossfire 2004

1 hour ago, crossfire 2004 said:

The VF and VG coupes were essentially Darts. The VF had the ‘leaning tower of power’ slant 6  while the VG used the new upright hemi 6. The convertibles were built from coupes with much underbody strengthening.

My VE sedan and VH wagon.

2C2F7EF7-D25C-4E49-B738-3CD3E472243A.jpeg.2d2726432501133aa30217caf6b90c25.jpegE6F19850-7B15-48F9-9A2C-8D6D8FB0929B.jpeg.6ecf809dadc5c4a058c9bf2abb44846b.jpeg

very nice   cars i know i want to make the valiant  charger r/t

Nice job Michelle..  Always good to see an Aussie car on here.  Often the rear of the car resembles an American production car but the front is usually quite different.  You were brave to tackle it.  I also do right hand drive conversions on my models so I know exactly what you went through on your dashboard - good to see the power booster made the switch as well. 

Mind you, in the sixties, some American imports were exported to Australia and were converted here.  The quality of the conversion varied greatly.  A quality job is known as a mirror image conversion - where every part is swapped and reversed to suit the other side.  The dodgey version involves cutting the steering column at the firewall and putting a gear on each severed end. then moving the column to the right hand side and running a chain around the two gears.  The pedals would be pivoted under the dash and a bar would run transversely to the original brake push rod. Can you imagine how spongy these things must have been to drive? 

My point is, on some of these conversions of American cars ( not Australian assembled), you could build a model with a right hand drive dash but left hand steering box and booster and you would still be authentic to full size. And a 1/25th scale version would be far safer than the 1:1 !

And Stuart, I had no idea Valiants made it to England, although I do know some made it to South Africa.back in the day.  Those convertibles were not a factory product - they were either amateur home garage builds or occasionally a smash repairs or body building business would do a reasonably professional job of the conversion - this work was very popular in the eighties but they are far too valuable now for anyone to do such a hack job.

In case anyone is wondering, the Australian motor industry did not closely follow annual release dates but tended to release cars when the market demanded. For us, Describing an FC or HK Holden, an XK or an XF Falcon, or in this case a VC to VJ valiant, tells us exactly what we are referring to  without necessarily knowing the exact year of production. From the late fifties to the eighties, we usually two variations of each body foundation, and then a new one would be released.  It sounds odd but at any gathering of car guys, we just talk initials and everybody understands!   For example "How's your VC going?  Oh, pretty good, mate, I just picked up a VE for spares." ( For some funny reason, there was never a VD Valiant LOL!)

Cheers

Alan

1 hour ago, alan barton said:

Nice job Michelle..  Always good to see an Aussie car on here.  Often the rear of the car resembles an American production car but the front is usually quite different.  You were brave to tackle it.  I also do right hand drive conversions on my models so I know exactly what you went through on your dashboard - good to see the power booster made the switch as well. 

Mind you, in the sixties, some American imports were exported to Australia and were converted here.  The quality of the conversion varied greatly.  A quality job is known as a mirror image conversion - where every part is swapped and reversed to suit the other side.  The dodgey version involves cutting the steering column at the firewall and putting a gear on each severed end. then moving the column to the right hand side and running a chain around the two gears.  The pedals would be pivoted under the dash and a bar would run transversely to the original brake push rod. Can you imagine how spongy these things must have been to drive? 

My point is, on some of these conversions of American cars ( not Australian assembled), you could build a model with a right hand drive dash but left hand steering box and booster and you would still be authentic to full size. And a 1/25th scale version would be far safer than the 1:1 !

And Stuart, I had no idea Valiants made it to England, although I do know some made it to South Africa.back in the day.  Those convertibles were not a factory product - they were either amateur home garage builds or occasionally a smash repairs or body building business would do a reasonably professional job of the conversion - this work was very popular in the eighties but they are far too valuable now for anyone to do such a hack job.

In case anyone is wondering, the Australian motor industry did not closely follow annual release dates but tended to release cars when the market demanded. For us, Describing an FC or HK Holden, an XK or an XF Falcon, or in this case a VC to VJ valiant, tells us exactly what we are referring to  without necessarily knowing the exact year of production. From the late fifties to the eighties, we usually two variations of each body foundation, and then a new one would be released.  It sounds odd but at any gathering of car guys, we just talk initials and everybody understands!   For example "How's your VC going?  Oh, pretty good, mate, I just picked up a VE for spares." ( For some funny reason, there was never a VD Valiant LOL!)

Cheers

Alan

Alan, the Australian Chrysler range was distributed here by the Warwick Wright group starting in 1966 with the VC and continued through to 1976 with the VK, there were many VH and VJ Chargers , only 1 known E38 but no E49’s.
I ran the owners club here for some time and had around 6 VE’s , the VF , 2 VH wagons, and a VJ sedan. Most have succumbed to rust while many were broken for spares when the parts supply dried up here in the ‘80s prior to the club and the internet.

85B77635-B3EB-44EA-99FE-CC0DED2337F6.jpeg.b30dc142dc1c001fdbdb21c70a0880f3.jpeg

7 hours ago, alan barton said:

Cheers

Alan

thank you  and very cool history   i did not know any of this it makes these cars even more interesting to me now then just interesting from a visual look of them