Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 GMC Jimmy Re-issue

@Rodent, those look great ! It'd be nice if the resin casters would make "underhood packages" ( batteries , wiper motors , brake masters , brake boosters , etc.) for popular kits which are lacking these parts .

I don't know why it bothers me so much when these parts aren't included and/or I see a 1966 & earlier brake master on a 1967 & later vehicle's firewall . Similarly , incorrect transmission-to-axle (i.e. , Monogram's 1971 Hemi'Cuda kits , which should have a Dana 60 or a Torqueflite) bothers me , too . Certainly , those "mishaps" are easier to correct , as many casters make a sundry of modern and older transmissions ; and a Dana gearbox can be had , with Plastistruct tubes for the axle shafts .

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

@Rodent, those look great ! It'd be nice if the resin casters would make "underhood packages" ( batteries , wiper motors , brake masters , brake boosters , etc.) for popular kits which are lacking these parts .

I don't know why it bothers me so much when these parts aren't included and/or I see a 1966 & earlier brake master on a 1967 & later vehicle's firewall . Similarly , incorrect transmission-to-axle (i.e. , Monogram's 1971 Hemi'Cuda kits , which should have a Dana 60 or a Torqueflite) bothers me , too . Certainly , those "mishaps" are easier to correct , as many casters make a sundry of modern and older transmissions ; and a Dana gearbox can be had , with Plastistruct tubes for the axle shafts .

I have dabbled with casting small parts, with varying degrees of success. I would much rather buy the parts though, I have little enough time for building anything as it is. I totally "get" that most of the kits with issues are old tools (not old fools) and aren't up to the standards we expect from newly tooled kits like the Revell Chevelles, 69 Camaros, etc.

The resin Ford and GM boosters I mentioned are from FAB Resinworks.

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I totally "get" that most of the kits with issues are old tools (not old fools) and aren't up to the standards we expect from newly tooled kits like the Revell Chevelles, 69 Camaros, etc.

The resin Ford and GM boosters I mentioned are from FAB Resinworks.

I'm definitely not complaining about 40+ year old kits overall , as I know what I'm getting when I purchase them (original , or ad seq. reissues) .

Thanks for the caster's name !

Well, I finally got a chance to watch the video. 

It has 4 Slicks. Yeah! Way to go Round2

But, I see the Sheriffs Jimmy from the Movie, "The Milagro Beanfield War', as a potential build option.

A least I won't need any aftermarket Resin Parts now, to convert the Chevy Kit.

On December 17, 2020 at 3:47 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Use the parts from the oft released 70s Chevy van and go to town!

And while you're at it, use what's left to build a 4x4 van. No waste!

A van front suspension won't work on a GMC Jimmy. Vans have an offset engine which makes the A arms longer on the driver's side than the passenger's side. One could use the suspension from a Revell '65 Chevy pickup or the '66 Suburban.

2 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

A van front suspension won't work on a GMC Jimmy. Vans have an offset engine which makes the A arms longer on the driver's side than the passenger's side. 

While the engine is offset to the right side and the right framerail offset more than the left, the upper control arms in the AMT Chevy van kits are of equal length, so they could be used:

2v2HrHLdjx6bzhT.jpg

2v2HrHLqNx6bzhT.jpg

The 1/24 Monogram Chevy van front suspension can only be installed one way-- I recall that from doing it incorrectly years ago. I can't recall if the L&R upper control arms are different lengths or not, but I want to say they are.

I would also suggest using the '64-'66 Revell Chevy C-series pickup kit's 2WD front suspension. Here are the lower crossmember, anti-sway bar, and LCAs from the Revell '64 Fleetside:

2v2HrHL5Mx6bzhT.jpg

No idea which is more correct, through...

3 hours ago, Casey said:

While the engine is offset to the right side and the right framerail offset more than the left, the upper control arms in the AMT Chevy van kits are of equal length, so they could be used:

2v2HrHLdjx6bzhT.jpg

2v2HrHLqNx6bzhT.jpg

The 1/24 Monogram Chevy van front suspension can only be installed one way-- I recall that from doing it incorrectly years ago. I can't recall if the L&R upper control arms are different lengths or not, but I want to say they are.

I would also suggest using the '64-'66 Revell Chevy C-series pickup kit's 2WD front suspension. Here are the lower crossmember, anti-sway bar, and LCAs from the Revell '64 Fleetside:

2v2HrHL5Mx6bzhT.jpg

No idea which is more correct, through...

I remember using the A-team van suspension on a 70s square body p/u, seemed to fit fine. Bonus, the front wheels then steered. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got mine today. At the risk of stating the painfully obvious... if you have any of the '72 Blazer reissues, you'll be in very familiar territory. It is largely the exact same kit, aside from the grille. As mentioned before, the grille isn't quite right, it's almost like nobody at AMT actually took a look at the GMC grille. Or maybe a disgruntled former GMC stylist ended up making patterns for AMT? Who knows. A little thin D-strip around the upper edge and sides of the grille will help a great deal with making the grille look a tad more realistic. It has the visible mounting pins for the headlight lenses, but at least the lights appear properly sized, and not all "what big eyes you have" as depicted on the box art drawing. Its almost painful comparing this grille to the Blazer grille- which is actually pretty nicely done. Tires are four of the soft, hollow M&H slicks, or four of those blank Polyglas GT tires Round 2 seems to love so much (they're even in the recent Sonoma reissue 😶)- I'd have preferred the old Firestone all terrains as the stock option, but oh well. Yes, the optional chrome wheels still have a lug mis-match- six up front, five out back. 

The decal sheet features duplicates of the hood and tailgate GMC badges, as well as sets of decal graphics for the side markers that actually look somewhat convincing. The front lens decals also feature the small "four wheel drive" emblem beneath. The fender badges are on the chrome sprue, or you can use the provided decal graphics instead. You also get two different gauge panel graphics, which is something I love seeing on these old reissues. You also get some punny markings for the drag option- Swamp Gasser for Project Bluebook enthusiasts, Top Jimmy for Van Halen enthusiasts, and Jimbo for Wikipedia enthusiasts. 

I have to say I'm intrigued by the box-art subject- a 4x4 drag Jimmy is so ridiculous an idea I think I just might build mine that way. 

18 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Just got mine today. At the risk of stating the painfully obvious... if you have any of the '72 Blazer reissues, you'll be in very familiar territory. It is largely the exact same kit, aside from the grille. As mentioned before, the grille isn't quite right, it's almost like nobody at AMT actually took a look at the GMC grille. Or maybe a disgruntled former GMC stylist ended up making patterns for AMT? Who knows. A little thin D-strip around the upper edge and sides of the grille will help a great deal with making the grille look a tad more realistic. It has the visible mounting pins for the headlight lenses, but at least the lights appear properly sized, and not all "what big eyes you have" as depicted on the box art drawing. Its almost painful comparing this grille to the Blazer grille- which is actually pretty nicely done. Tires are four of the soft, hollow M&H slicks, or four of those blank Polyglas GT tires Round 2 seems to love so much (they're even in the recent Sonoma reissue 😶)- I'd have preferred the old Firestone all terrains as the stock option, but oh well. Yes, the optional chrome wheels still have a lug mis-match- six up front, five out back. 

The decal sheet features duplicates of the hood and tailgate GMC badges, as well as sets of decal graphics for the side markers that actually look somewhat convincing. The front lens decals also feature the small "four wheel drive" emblem beneath. The fender badges are on the chrome sprue, or you can use the provided decal graphics instead. You also get two different gauge panel graphics, which is something I love seeing on these old reissues. You also get some punny markings for the drag option- Swamp Gasser for Project Bluebook enthusiasts, Top Jimmy for Van Halen enthusiasts, and Jimbo for Wikipedia enthusiasts. 

I have to say I'm intrigued by the box-art subject- a 4x4 drag Jimmy is so ridiculous an idea I think I just might build mine that way. 

I’m looking forward too see how and how many you build Chuck, your builds are realistic...