Model Cars Magazine Forum

Land Rover Series III LWB

I need to start another project now like I need a hole in my head!  So, this project will take a while as I go about gathering my paints and stuff for this build.  This project also signals another case for McNally, Boston PI.  This story is called, Harvest of Murder and it is a total work of fiction.

The Build

I am using Revell of Germany's Land Rover Series III LWB Kit #07047.  I have been looking at paint colors trying to find a close match to the Land Rover Light Green without having to resort to ordering paint from overseas.

The Story

McNally journeys to the United Kingdom to help an old friend harvest his farm.  A “vacation” in the UK is turned into a murder investigation with the local Constabulary seeking his help.  The murder victim is a longtime resident who was always broke and McNally tries to find the killer with the help of the local Police who have no training in murder investigations. 

It was about 4:00 PM when the telephone rang at 157 Dardenvale Street, the home of McNally, Boston PI.  McNally has just returned home from an early afternoon jog that took him over an hour to run and he had worked up a good sweat.  He was also tired when he answered the phone.

“This is McNally,” he says puffing slightly.

“Mc!  Its’ Angus Burrows calling you from the UK.  How are you?  I didn’t call you at a bad time, did I?”

“No.  I’m just back from a run.  I’m well Angus!  Long time, no hear!  What is happening across the pond?”

“I’m actually calling you from Westby Hospital in Liverpool.  I have a case of bad heart angina and they had hospitalized me.  I’ve got no one managing at the farm and I need some help with the workers.”

“Are you asking me for my help?”

“Yes.  If you can.  I know you can be busy with your detective business.  But, I do need your help getting the workers organized and moving forward.”

“Angus, I could use a small vacation and the farm at Alston-at-Harkness sounds like a good place to start.  I’ll be over tomorrow or Friday.  Okay?”

“Thank you Mc.  I truly appreciate your effort.”

“Okay.  I’ll see you tomorrow at the hospital.  Bye Angus!

“Bye Mc.”

McNally will return...

LRIII01.JPG

LRIII06.JPG

LRIII03.JPG

8 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Just a heads up, if you connect the exhaust pipe to the engine like the instructions say, you wont be able to attach the interior bucket to the frame ?, attach it after you join them together.

There's nothing wrong with the instructions, just follow them correctly, don't glue the exhaust to the chassis frame at the front, as instructed, and pass the exhaust through the inner wings before gluing it to the manifold 

Screenshot_20200914-105138_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20200914-105456_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Thanks Jonathan, Rickey and Geoff!  I had noticed the exhaust and interior mounting as I was reading the instructions earlier.  I was going to leave the exhaust off until after the interior was mounted to the frame.  Thanks to all for the heads up!

9 hours ago, GeeBee said:

There's nothing wrong with the instructions, just follow them correctly, don't glue the exhaust to the chassis frame at the front, as instructed, and pass the exhaust through the inner wings before gluing it to the manifold 

You're right,  I must of, well, didnt see that part for whatever reason and did the exhaust first.

I always make it a practice to read the instructions prior to assembly.  That way, I can figure out different ways to assemble the model if needed.  I don't always catch an issue with assembly, but I do try to make it worth my time to read the instructions prior. 

The Story

McNally gets off the plane in Liverpool and he catches a cab to Westby Hospital to visit with Angus.  Angus is happy to see him and he tell McNally where everything is at the farm, including the keys to the Land Rover Series III LWB which is parked on the side of the house.  McNally tells Angus that he will do his best with the harvest and for him to not to worry about anything and to get better.  Angus tell him that he glad that McNally made the trip across the pond and he will try to get better.  Then a nurse comes into the room and throws McNally out.

The Build

The 2.6 L straight six engine is nearing completion.  I have wired it, but in the process, I destroyed the distributor, sending me looking for another distributor cap which I found in the parts box.

McNally will return...

LRIII10.JPG

LRIII11.JPG

LRIII12.JPG

The Story

McNally leaves Westby Hospital and hails a cab who'll drive him out to the farm in Alston-at-Harkness.  At the farm, he pays the cabbie with a decent tip and them he pulls his luggage along with his large Army bag slung over his shoulder on the dirt driveway which is rutted with rocks and holes, some holes filled with muddy water.  He reaches the farm house which is dark and he finds the front door key hidden inside a rock outside the front door, which was unlocked anyway.  He opens the door, turns on the lights and steps inside the old house and he finds the keys for the Land Rover hanging on a hook with a couple of jackets and a hat next to them on a wall rack.

The house is as he expected it to be, lived in with a newspaper next to a chair in the living room, a couple of dirty dishes in the sink in the kitchen and a light coating of dust on the furniture.  Tomorrow, he'll meet up with the field managers and discuss where they are at with the harvest in their fields and see what they need for equipment and supplies.  He goes outside and finds the Land Rover Series III LWB parked next to the side of the house and it is unlocked and he locks the doors on the SUV and the barn as well.

The Build

After staring at the engine last night, I didn't like the color of the engine.  I repainted it this morning with Model Master Gunmetal Metalizer and the fan got a coating of Model Master Daytona Yellow.

McNally will return...

LRIII13.JPG

LRIII14.JPG

LRIII15.JPG

The Story

The following morning, McNally gets up, eats breakfast and then he drives out to the fields and he talks to the field manager asking if the need anything to help with the harvest.  Mostly, they are seeking extra help and the West field needs help the most.  He pulls off the two people working the field and he has them go to the North field to work and the West field will be harvested later.  He decides to help harvest until he realizes that he is hungry and it is about 3 PM in the afternoon.  He drives into town looking for a diner of some sort and he finds one.

He orders an early dinner of Shepard's Pie and coffee.  While he is ordering, the Police Constable comes in looking for a cup of coffee to go and he overhears McNally talking in his American accent.  He introduces himself as PC Paul Dunbarton, a lone law enforcement officer for the Township of Alston-At-Harkness.  McNally identifies himself as a former cop now PI temporarily working at the Burrows Farm while Angus Burrows is in the hospital.  Paul wishes McNally well and he hopes Angus will be ok and he comes home soon.  PC Dunbarton grabs his coffee and he leaves the diner.

The Build

I got the wheels painted with Model Master Wimbledon White.

McNally will return...

LRIII16.JPG

LRIII17.JPG

LRIII18.JPG

Edited by mrmike

The Story

McNally is up early and he drives out to the field that he worked at yesterday.  He works until noontime and the field is caught up.  The workers move to the next field on the list after lunch and they finish the smaller field by 5:30 PM.  At 6:00 PM, all the equipment and tools are accounted for and put away for the weekend.  He calls the hospital while he is making his supper and he talks to Angus for a few minutes.  

Angus will be released from the hospital tomorrow afternoon.  He is to rest and let other people to do the work for him.  McNally will go and pick him up and bring him home to the farm. 

The Build

I assembled the chassis last night before turning in for the night.  It is ready for primer and paint.  I did a mockup just to see what it would look like and the fit of the parts.

McNally will return...

LRIII19.JPG

LRIII20.JPG

LRIII21.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Both have their challenges.

The Story

PC Dunbarton drives out to the Burrows Farm and he knocks on the door.  The door is answered by Angus and after a joyous greeting, the Constable asks to the whereabouts of McNally.  The PC is directed to the field that McNally is working in and Dunbarton drives out to the field.  He finds McNally and he asks for his help.  A farmer was murdered not too far from the Burrows Farm and the PC doesn't know what to do.

McNally advises for the PC to call local towns and the National Crime Agency for assistance.  The PC says that this is the first murder that he is involved with and the first in the township in almost two hundred years and other than the Boston PI, he wasn't sure who to call.  McNally tells the Constable to log all those he wants to talk to and everyone the victim knew.  McNally asks that he be kept informed and he will be around to answer any questions from the PC.

The Build

I painted the chassis last week and let is dry completely.  Now to detail paint some of the components and add the front shocks.

McNally will return...

LRIII22.JPG

LRIII23.JPG

LRIII24.JPG

• 1 month later...

The Story

The National Crime Agency sends a team of investigators to Alston-at-Harkness and the McCann Farm.  While they are looking around at McCann Farm, Agent Barchans of the NCA is at the Police Station with PC Dunbarton questioning him about Alfred McCann and what he knows about him.  McNally walks into the Police Station to check up on PC Dunbarton and Agent Barchans says no comments to any information to anyone.  Dunbarton explains that McNally is a former Boston Police Department Police Officer and that he can be trusted.  Barchans wants McNally out of the Station and the area.

The Build

I spent a little time on the Land Rover yesterday.  I painted the hubs and the lugnuts with Tamiya Semi Gloss Black..  I got the driveshafts and the radiator installed.  Then, I noticed that the lower radiator hose was missing and I made one out of some tubing I had lying around on the bench.

LRIII25.JPG

LRIII26.JPG

LRIII27.JPG

The Story

McNally met Angus Burrows while he was in the US Army.  Angus was an instructor at the base teaching Covert Surveillance Applications and McNally was one of his pupils.  The class was a tough one for McNally, so he studied this class more than the others and asked more questions and he did rather well with it.  When McNally graduated, he became friends with Angus until he retired a couple of years later and he returned to England.  He has worked on his farm ever since.

The Build

Adding the driveshafts had created a problem...the engine was cockeyed!  I ended up removing the engine and shortening the housing for the front driveshaft.  This put the engine back into the motor mounts like it should instead of sitting on the edge of the engine mount.  Now, everything sits straight!

McNally will return...

LRIII28.JPG

LRIII29.JPG

LRIII30.JPG