Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Jaguar

Mike 1017

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2021 at 2:27 PM, peteski said:

Here is mine.

DSCN4299.JPG.de509647e2592966a836212b7f585753.JPG

To follow up, I'm quoting my own post.  I contacted Revell customer service (they are in Germany), supplying them photos of the problem.  I received an email confirmation with a case number. The web page stated that the response from them might take some time.  I waited for about a month with no updates from Revell.

At that time I contacted them by email asking for update.  But instead of replying to the original email which will not work, I had to find a "real" address.  I did receive a prompt reply from the Service Manager at Revell in Germany stating that they never received my original request.  He asked me to email the problem description and photos (including a copy of the receipt) directly to him. Once he received those he replied to let me know that he will be sending me the body and the bonnet (not just the bonnet).  Why both? I'll explain later.

The parts arrived after couple weeks, and the fit of those is perfect.  But the body is the one with the odd swirls on the inside of the molding, and there is also a small sink home at the edge of the cowl, near the right side windshield washer nozzle.

I tried to use the new bonnet with the old body, but even the new bonnet is still too wide for the body.  It seems that when the original bonnet is slipped over the cowl that causes the bonnet to spread out, while also pressing the sides of the cowl inwards,making the cowl narrower.  So both, the body  and the bonnet end up deformed.

Instead of fixing the sink mark on the new body I might still try to place the original body in hot water and spread out the cowl sides to match the new bonnet.

As I mentioned before, a small modification of the packing process (not slipping the bonnet over the cowl) would have prevented this problem from occurring. And yes, the replacement bonnet was not slipped over the cowl.

17 hours ago, dbostream said:

I wonder if they have packaged the roadster version in the same way or learned from their mistake. I am yet to buy it but I will.

What is surprising that I have seen some people (earlier in this thread?) mentioned that their kit did not have the ill-fitting bonnet.  I wonder if theirs was packaged in a way that the bonnet was not slipped over the cowl.

19 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Nope. Same problem.

At least the windshield height isn't an issue for this one...

True but still annoying having to contact Revell for replacement parts.

Makes me wonder how common this problem is. I mean it must cost them a lot if they have to send a replacement hood and body to a lot of people and they pay for the shipping as well. But maybe most people don't bother to contact them. It would be so easy to avoid this problem.

Edited by dbostream