Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

disconovaman

I agree...ย the responsible act would be to keep in line with the "Incognito" theme. So I'll ditch the police uniform for a blend inย "plain brown wrapper" disguise. I still plan on low key detailsย such as front mounted bumper guards and a spotlight.ย  I've sprayed a coat of Tamiya white primer over my body work and I'm pretty happy at the results so far... now to pick a color and start preparing for the next step.ย 

On a side note, I've been off thinking about another Racecarย in disguise project because there's been a wave of inspiration blowing through the "Looney Bin" lately... And Dad-gummit, Matt Amodio, the Reigning Jeperody Champ (38wins) got defeated last night... That was my inspiration for everything and I wanna keep it going so I'm gonna have this MATT-ADOR finished up by the end of the Challenge too... here goes!

20211012_085956.jpg

20211012_085930.jpg

2016-ford-fusion-paint-chart.png

20211012_085712.jpg

Havenโ€™t had much bench time as of lately but I did finally start laying some paint down on the GTO, decided that it would be best to go with a patina/beater style paint job because a bright orange gto would be to recognizable. I still have a lot of details to add to it but though it was about time for a progress update.ย 

6E1834E8-1E62-4313-90E0-6CF908190C80.jpeg

324DFFD1-946D-465C-88EA-38FD53994093.jpeg

1A025504-CC90-445A-844F-BDB3DC6D4299.jpeg

CAABA0C6-426C-42A9-A069-BDB0F3ED439B.jpeg

477AB5B5-8EB6-48E4-A51A-3BB4F5E13BB2.jpeg

E9D28E7A-EEFB-41D8-865C-BC26EEED9F4C.jpeg

• Like 1

#19.

I realized today that I have 1,5 months to finish this buildโ€ฆ. And with my normal amount of bench time Iโ€™veย got to be glad to get even half of the fabrication done in that time, and then there is detailing an paintingโ€ฆ so the Silverado will be racing for next year.ย 
And the team need to get an other race car prepped for the 2021 cannonballโ€ฆย 

ย 

So this Silverado C5R Race Truckย will be on hold for a while.. and the teamย start preparing theย other race car, thatย getย striped of the castrol sponsors and a wrap to go more discreetly cross country.ย 
ย 

FABAC915-0AE2-4E94-895F-269127EDF40F.thumb.jpeg.3670d0ae5cc0f2ca1517069c658a2fac.jpeg

ย 

• Like 1

I canโ€™t keep myself from hackingโ€ฆย 

made room for a left over Corvette C5R difusor by curing away the middle section of the body and reshaping the area.

DE7FA208-4509-4275-869E-F260FE26FA20.thumb.jpeg.aebe08f1c6fa43feb20fd82d5db45db5.jpeg
have also started thinking about hacking up the flares in the frontย since I am no fan of the big triangularย ones on this one, would prefere the Sard ones but those kits are hard to come by.ย 

8 minutes ago, Mattilacken said:

I canโ€™t keep myself from hackingโ€ฆ

Snowballing already! ๐Ÿ˜† Iย totally understand! The more I do, the more I want to do!ย 

I'm thinking about door handles and marker lights... I was pondering on scribing panel lines and initially I was gonna two tone the doors.ย I felt that would be enough contrast so it wouldn't be necessary. Now that it's gonna be a solid color It will need those door seems.

I have a plan to use decals for the door panel lines. It won't disturb the Nascar body and I think it's an easier solution. The door handles and marker lights will be decals also.

I'm leaning towards a lighter color... in the gold, silver, or bronze family...like the unmarked car pictured, or like this S10 I'm still working on to be exact...ย 

2021-09-01-08-14-54-538.jpg

Unmarked_Ford_Taurus_Police_Interceptor_(14652036241).jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I have a plan to use decals for the door panel lines. It won't disturb the Nascar body and I think it's an easier solution. The door handles and marker lights will be decals also.

Hehe nothing sayย undercover race car as stickers for everything not necessary for function!ย 
ย 

45 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Funny, I was told it was white

Wow! that chart makes me think Americans are boring people... ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

I bought a brand new car in 2018... Sedona Sunrise (Orange)ย ๐Ÿ˜† I bought a used truckย at the beginning of the Summer, it's Sienna Red! I do own a silver car but only because it'sย 45 years old and in original condition with 30k actual miles.ย 

I'm starting to think Tectonic Pearl isn't so boring after all...

and these wheels are from an SRT, they are the biggest diameter I haveย to fill up the wheelwells on the Nascar body... I'd like to find some police issue steel wheels but for now these will do. There are some diecast cars with the correct wheels that I'm gonna get serious and find eventually.ย ย 

tmp1L175e.jpeg

tmpdFQaVr.jpeg

tmp2uclK6.jpeg

I couldn't resist... been waiting to do this for awhile! I was gonna scan and print actual decal copies... but I just said it'll fly with stickers... yeah that'sย  right, I said stickers on a model car fourm! ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ย I'll bury em in clear and that'sย gonna be good enough!ย 

tmp6h0jwF.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

Are you going to add fake door opening lines?

Yes sir,ย I plan on adding door line decals to give it theย 4 door appearance with door handles and window moldings too. Earlier on I moved the B-piller forward to make room for the back door window and it really does look more like a 4 door with the panel lines. Here is a picture of the body before I made the corrections for comparison...ย 

Screenshot_20211011-174544_Photos.jpg

Edited by disconovaman

5 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I couldn't resist... been waiting to do this for awhile! I was gonna scan and print actual decal copies... but I just said it'll fly with stickers... yeah that'sย  right, I said stickers on a model car fourm! ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ย I'll bury em in clear and that'sย gonna be good enough!ย 

tmp6h0jwF.jpeg

Looks good, but where are those mandatory โ€œfunctionalโ€ lights? ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ They'll be on there... in the form of Spot lights, fog lights, and flashers... mounted on the push bar... that's the plan๐Ÿ˜„

Hehe nice! :Dย Other wise, how would it be if you drill out the "projector" and add a projector light behind it so to speak. Or you drill the grill out, keep the "trim"decal(cut the center out)ย and add a new net and lights like on a Shelby Mustang. You could also do this for the fog lights as marker lights ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

7 minutes ago, Mattilacken said:

Shelby Mustang.ย 

Those are good options, I've seen real police cars with the "Honeycomb" style grill like a Shelby... I do like that better than the tube bar grill but at this point I'd be taking one step forward and two steps back with the build. I could do way more to improve, and give it more realistic details. At that rateย I'd never get it finished and to tell truth I've lost interest in it and I'm ready to move on to the Matador.

I'm gonna buy a diecast for the wheels and also the push bar. Hopefully that will fill the void with all the inaccuracies.๐Ÿ˜†

• Like 1