Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

disconovaman

9 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Btw! Your build was what made me put the Big wing on my entry! I loved how the original race wing was there on yours just not as noticeable.. I gues mine did not tick that box.. 🤪 love this years CBR and your build along with the ‘60 impala are my favorites 🙂  

Thank you, really the wing on your car looks totally normal for cars over here. I see cars with race style wings like that every day so it would completely blend in. The color helps too, I had a hard time picking a color but love how the Tamiya gunmetal looks on it, it makes it kind of stealthy. The foil helped too, it was kind of bland without the foil on the upper wing extension piece.

Managed to get a bit of time in on mine tonight:

IMG_8124.JPG.3f587058d364214f34eebbf7f53951ff.JPG

I'm going to be up against it, but I need to finish the interior, paint and assemble the rollcage, detail the bodyshell, fit an exhaust, radiator, intercooler and strut brace, and detail and mount the wheels and brakes. Getting a few big, simple things done tonight was useful, with a bit of luck I hope to make it.....

• Like 1

The Matador is done, but what a Janky kit! I felt bad for the poor little guy... 😆 I'm sure if I would have taken the time to think about it more, I probably could've made some improvements on it, but I just rushed through to get it finished. It's all for fun and just my way to help motivate everyone here towards the end of the run!😁

I basically built it from the box save for the wheels and tires and LS parts on the engine, and the seats. I painted it Rose Gold Metallic with a saddle tan vinyl top... and added as much chrome as I could to make it look stock. Aunt Linda's little AMC is ready for the Cannonball! 

20211123_203109~2.jpg

20211123_202929.jpg

20211123_205054.jpg

20211123_203338.jpg

20211123_210509.jpg

20211123_212333.jpg

20211123_202509.jpg

Really like a lot of this year's builds, I really enjoy doing this every year. This year was a very busy year for me.I was glad to get mine finished. Can't wait to get next year's build going. I was born in 66 and my oldest brother had a 66 Barracuda,  so it will be somewhat of a replica of his car on the outside atleast 😀 Every year my cars have been green, next year it will be Aztec gold and Cinnamon. 

I've got back into my CBR build again now:

IMG_8125.JPG.0409a480616a43b6b4f63027a751408f.JPG

IMG_8127.JPG.1191bd96f3d35dac41b881cbc9ca048f.JPG

I'm pleased with how the headlights against the chrome backing panel - no need for BMF or silver paint here. The rear lights have a similar arrangement.

Radiator, intercooler and other bits and bobs painted. Main work has been on the interior, which uses the base of the Skyline racer's tub with the side panels removed and LHD 180SX dashboard (to make the most of overtaking opportunities). I'll keep the original Leopard interior side panels and rear seat, to keep it civilized.

I may try and find some different front seats, I really need a pair of proper buckets

I don't yet know how much of the Skyline's rollcage will be used, I'll see how it fits inside the different roofline. If nothing else some trimming will be required due to the rear seat.

The brakes from a Nismo tuner version of the R32 were much bigger than those which came with the original racecar, so I've pinched those (along with the strut brace, intercooler, turbo and exhaust system).

With the wheels from yet another kit I'm now up to parts from five different sources.

Biggest job to do is painting all the black trim on the bodywork - it's around all of the glass, on the front and rear bumpers, bonnet edge, side rubbing strips etc. I need to make use of daylight over the weekend to get that done. At least there's no black painting required on the inside of the glass, my least favourite job of all.

I just laid the first coat of paint on Stupidbird. I thought it was gonna be the only coat, but I saw a conspicuous dust booger that looks like will have to be sanded out and touched up tomorrow. 

This was the first time I've run my airbrush in over a year. Took me about a half hour to find the paint I wanted and get everything up to speed for the shoot. This happens to me frequently--the longer it's been since I've airbrushed, the more I dread it and put it off. When I was heavily into the model airplanes, it was no big deal to have five or six airbrushing sessions a day. Since moving back to cars, I've been relying on rattlecans more and more. But I needed a particular bottle color on Stupidbird that I couldn't find in rattlecan. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I just laid the first coat of paint on Stupidbird.

6 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Biggest job to do is painting all the black trim on

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

I've been getting it done a little at a time. 

To all those Cannonballers making the MaddDash to get to the starting line, Good luck! we're Cheering you on! 🏁📣🚔🏎🚦🟢

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pete75 said:

I think it is/they are absolutely brilliant!

Thanks, yeah my presentations are a combination of illustrations and internet image manipulation. 😆 I'm working on ideas for the next CBR now. I'm gearing up to pay tribute to all the Cannonballers in the next run. I think it will be a fun Run.

• Like 1

I hadn't intended being awake quite so early, but well before 6am I was up and working on my CBR project. Trying to make use of some quiet time before the rest of the family get up and I have to swap small tools and brushes for large ones to do some work on the house.

IMG_8133.JPG.f729a4510101e31174f7fadb1f66eebe.JPG

Cage trial fitment, I had to cut some notches in the bottom of the dashboard. The rear members wil need shortening if I fit the rear seat.

IMG_8135.JPG.869110f9891fa74aebdc1093f7b94c52.JPG

IMG_8136.JPG.3420d37815caa708c26418fe811e7b6c.JPG

Before getting too much further thought I should see how it all fits together. This is with the glass and interios side panels installed, so all the likely culprits to cause a problem - I've built kits where everything from the same box doesn't work, but I'm pleased with how this is going. The bodyshell just drops on with no fouling.

Now I'm looking at it sat next to me on the desk it almost looks too subtle, but I guess that's the point!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Barn find.

Awesome finish! Very convincing patina...

9 hours ago, Jantrix said:

It's not exactly what I planned but honestly what I planned wasn't all that good.

I built that Mattador just for fun. The Bobby Alison AMC (your original entry). At first it seemed to be a simple kit but it has several issues that you couldn't ignore. I know why you decided on the Vette instead. I didn't do near the modifications you had planned but even out of the box it was a challenge.

Thanks for the inspiration, See you in the Next Cannonball!

On 11/23/2021 at 10:08 PM, disconovaman said:

Cannonball! 

20211123_203109~2.jpg

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Awesome finish! Very convincing patina...

I built that Mattador just for fun. The Bobby Alison AMC (your original entry). At first it seemed to be a simple kit but it has several issues that you couldn't ignore. I know why you decided on the Vette instead. I didn't do near the modifications you had planned but even out of the box it was a challenge.

Thanks for the inspiration, See you in the Next Cannonball!

I think you did a terrific job on the AMC. Very convincing at first glance as a non-race car. My build time is so limited lately that fighting with a bad kit to obtain the results I want, is counter-productive to wanting to build. So I've been picking my projects a lot more carefully so that it's fun and not a chore, as I've plenty of those already. 😁

• Like 1

Awesome looking builds gents.Everybody is knocking it out of the park. I hate that I've missed it all. Been absent since July. Recovery and work sent my build down the tubes. Back to the drawing board for 2022.

rock on gentlemen.

On 11/28/2021 at 6:09 AM, Jantrix said:

Well. I'm happy to report the Vette is done. It's not exactly what I planned but honestly what I planned wasn't all that good. I like this though. Barn find.

That looks great! Love the timeworn look to it.

I spent much of yesterday (and Saturday) with a brush in my hand doing fiddly paintwork, unfortunately it was for the woodwork on the staircase so until last night I didn't get any time in on my CBR build.

IMG_8162.JPG.b3cf76cfdb8df383dd09d6b15bd68280.JPG

IMG_8164.JPG.3501614671a9ee6efdc34177e90be6da.JPG

The interior is done and some of the cage has gone in (like others here I've trimmed it back for reasons of discretion and keeping it more usable as a road car).

If I've got three evenings left to get it finished then I should be OK. I know the bodyshell drops onto the floorpan and interior OK so it least looks like a complete car. For my own checklist purposes, I think this is what I have left to do:

1. Paint black trim around glass, lights, on bumpers and rubbing strips. If need be I'll just do the glass and revisit the remainder later on.

2. Panel line wash.

3. Minor paintwork on interior and cage. Work out some seatbelt painting/decals.

4. Fit glass and interior side panels.

5. Open out centres of brake discs to fit them into the Aoshima wheels. Fit wheels, somehow getting the fronts to sit a touch further in. I've made this more complicated by going from male fitment wheels to female.

6. Finish painting and fit wipers and mirrors, find and apply some US plate decals.

7. Take photos and sit back.