Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is a good paint jar size for decanting spray cans?

Don't forget that the decanted paint will be degassing for some time.  If you were to tighten the lid, the pressure will build up and next time you open it, the pain might foam up and come out of the bottle making a huge mess.  I usually leave the lid not tightened for a day or two, and keep gently swirling the jar from time to time to the liquid propellant to evaporate from the paint.

2 hours ago, FredRPG said:

Thanks Peter.  Just grabbed some of the 4oz ball jars from wmart, also going to try these bottles. The nozzle seems ideal for airbrush filling, but I’m not sure if they will seal well for long term storage. 

6A75FC5C-6ACF-45D5-AEC6-13761A2388DA.jpeg

One additional tip I have is to use Saran Wrap Press and Seal over the top of the jar before you put the lid on. That will keep the paint off the lid. I don't think the squeeze bottles will provide a good seal.

3 hours ago, FredRPG said:

Thanks Peter.  Just grabbed some of the 4oz ball jars from wmart, also going to try these bottles. The nozzle seems ideal for airbrush filling, but I’m not sure if they will seal well for long term storage. 

6A75FC5C-6ACF-45D5-AEC6-13761A2388DA.jpeg

You might want to check the plastic type.  The old paint is likely lacquer and sometimes it doesn't play nice with some plastics.  Someone did a post some time back about that and gave us a guide for the type of plastics that will work.  I can't seem to find it but perhaps someone else can. 

That is why I use glass jars.  Coast Airbrush has some plastic bottles that they have coated to handle lacquers.  If you do use these, I would set them in a glass container until you know they will be ok.  Also something I am also aware of.  I use acetone and lacquer thinner in squeeze bottles like this to squirt in my airbrush to clean it.  Over time they get brittle and when you squeeze them, they crack and empty their contents all over the place!