Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Coronet Stripe and Interior Colors

Steven....as Mr. Spencer mentions above, the Hamtramck Registry is "the bible" for factory-correct Mopar 1960's-1970's projects.  At the Coronet resource link, there should be a page that is a detailed chart showing interior/exterior/stripe/vinyl roof compatibility, and many of the model-specific resources at the Registry also include copies of the Dealership Color and Trim manuals with actual upholstery samples and illustrations of the interiors, door panels, and seat sew styles. 

As for the 1968 Coronet, from memory here, the interiors were also available  in "white with" red, green, and blue components., in addition to the fairly common white with black.  These color combos are very rarely seen these days, but they were available. For example, the seats and door trim panels would be white, paired with Blue carpets, console, instrument panel, etc.   There was also a restriction with the Road Runner that year that made the carpets only available in black when a manual transmission was ordered; I don't recall if that carried over to the Coronet line or not. 

Another excellent resource is the 1/1 scale restoration industry; they have catalogs with reproduction interior components and often these include detailed references on interior colors and so forth.  I am using the Legendary Interiors online pages right now as a reference in my build of the new AMT '64 Cutlass kit.  I presume they have similar pages for 1960's Mopars...

If you run into difficulties finding the exact info you need please email me and I try to help out.  Enjoying your build of this kit, by the way.  Cheers...TIM 

4 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Steve I believe the stripe only came in three colors Black, White , Red. the interior colors Black, Red, Blue, Green White , hope this helps !The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1968 Dodge Dealership Data Book - Coronet (hamtramck-historical.com)

Thank you!

That information will come in very handy!

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Steven....as Mr. Spencer mentions above, the Hamtramck Registry is "the bible" for factory-correct Mopar 1960's-1970's projects.  At the Coronet resource link, there should be a page that is a detailed chart showing interior/exterior/stripe/vinyl roof compatibility, and many of the model-specific resources at the Registry also include copies of the Dealership Color and Trim manuals with actual upholstery samples and illustrations of the interiors, door panels, and seat sew styles. 

As for the 1968 Coronet, from memory here, the interiors were also available  in "white with" red, green, and blue components., in addition to the fairly common white with black.  These color combos are very rarely seen these days, but they were available. For example, the seats and door trim panels would be white, paired with Blue carpets, console, instrument panel, etc.   There was also a restriction with the Road Runner that year that made the carpets only available in black when a manual transmission was ordered; I don't recall if that carried over to the Coronet line or not. 

Another excellent resource is the 1/1 scale restoration industry; they have catalogs with reproduction interior components and often these include detailed references on interior colors and so forth.  I am using the Legendary Interiors online pages right now as a reference in my build of the new AMT '64 Cutlass kit.  I presume they have similar pages for 1960's Mopars...

If you run into difficulties finding the exact info you need please email me and I try to help out.  Enjoying your build of this kit, by the way.  Cheers...TIM 

Thanks Tim!

I guess at this point, the only other item that I was curious about was "console delete" info.

I have the option, using the Revell Charger interior tub, of either using the provided console, or just eliminating it and going with a 4 speed without it.

I was kind of leaning towards building it without the console, but am unaware as to whether or not the '68 R/T could have been ordered without a console.

What can you tell me?

I also have the option of removing the console from the MPC kit and retrofitting it to the Charger floor, but that's my least likely option.

Steve

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thank you!

That information will come in very handy!

Thanks Tim!

I guess at this point, the only other item that I was curious about was "console delete" info.

I have the option, using the Revell Charger interior tub, of either using the provided console, or just eliminating it and going with a 4 speed without it.

I was kind of leaning towards building it without the console, but am unaware as to whether or not the '68 R/T could have been ordered without a console.

What can you tell me?

I also have the option of removing the console from the MPC kit and retrofitting it to the Charger floor, but that's my least likely option.

Steve

I think that I may have found the answer to my question Tim.

According to the link that Mr Mopar attached, "The center console, or fixed center cushion with folding center arm rest, are optional at extra cost".

I guess that means I can do whatever I choose.

Thanks guys!!

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think that I may have found the answer to my question Tim.

According to the link that Mr Mopar attached, "The center console, or fixed center cushion with folding center arm rest, are optional at extra cost".

I guess that means I can do whatever I choose.

Thanks guys!!

Steve

Steve....exactly right.  What's so cool about these dealer data books at this site is that they include just this type of info....for the rest of you, here's the applicable page with the answer to Steve's question...

68_Coronet0018.jpg

From what I recall (and what I've seen in magazine articles in years since on '68 Coronet R/T's), most of them were equipped with the console even though it was optional.  Steve is building a 4-speed, but if the car was an automatic without a console, the shifter would move to the steering column i/l/o being located on the trans tunnel....TIM  

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Steve....exactly right.  What's so cool about these dealer data books at this site is that they include just this type of info....for the rest of you, here's the applicable page with the answer to Steve's question...

68_Coronet0018.jpg

From what I recall (and what I've seen in magazine articles in years since on '68 Coronet R/T's), most of them were equipped with the console even though it was optional.  Steve is building a 4-speed, but if the car was an automatic without a console, the shifter would move to the steering column i/l/o being located on the trans tunnel....TIM  

I also learned that the Hemi powered Coronet was equipped with 15 inch wheels only, so it's good that I passed on some of the wheel covers offered by Fireball for the '68s, and Magnum wheels.

Apparently, the only options for the Hemi were 15 inch wheels with poverty caps, or the special disc brake Charger caps, which I really don't like the looks of anyway.

Luckily I made the right call inordering a set of 15 inch wheels and tires from Fireball Modelworks several weeks ago.

They're supposed to be on my doorstep on Monday.

The only question is, are A-12 wheels different from what would have been on a Hemi Coronet in '68?

The A-12s are what I got.

Steve

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The only question is, are A-12 wheels different from what would have been on a Hemi Coronet in '68?

A12 was an option code for only the '69 Coronet and Road Runner, so it doesn't apply to '68s. Unless you can see the date code stamped onto the wheel face near the valve stem hole in 1/25 scale, it's not a concern, regardless of who refers to which steel wheels as '"A12". They're just 15" x 6" steel wheels. If you're using full wheel overs, even less important.

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

A12 was an option code for only the '69 Coronet and Road Runner, so it doesn't apply to '68s. Unless you can see the date code stamped onto the wheel face near the valve stem hole in 1/25 scale, it's not a concern, regardless of who refers to which steel wheels as '"A12". They're just 15" x 6" steel wheels. If you're using full wheel overs, even less important.

Thanks Casey.

Chief Joseph makes some awesome products, but I doubt that even his stuff will have stampings by the valve stem holes. :D

I guess the A-12s will work perfectly for what I'm doing.

Not using full wheel covers, but I guess it's a moot point anyway.

Steve

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I also learned that the Hemi powered Coronet was equipped with 15 inch wheels only, so it's good that I passed on some of the wheel covers offered by Fireball for the '68s, and Magnum wheels.

Apparently, the only options for the Hemi were 15 inch wheels with poverty caps, or the special disc brake Charger caps, which I really don't like the looks of anyway.

Luckily I made the right call inordering a set of 15 inch wheels and tires from Fireball Modelworks several weeks ago.

Steve

Yes.  The A-12 wheels are different than the 15" 1968 wheels.  What is different are the centers.  The 68 wheels have the dimpled centers that the lugs go through.  On the 69 15" A-12 wheels; the wheels have a circular . raised looking plate that the lugs go through.

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

•  
  •  
  •  
Edited by GMP440

5 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Steven.....have a color scheme (exterior/interior/stripes) in mind yet?   TIM 

In light of the information that I’ve received from the wonderful members here, I believe that I’ll be sticking with my original plan of white with red stripes and a red interior. I’ve had thoughts of silver with red, but if so, I had better decide soon because if I go with silver, I’m leaning towards a black vinyl top with it.

Steve

7 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

Yes.  The A-12 wheels are different than the 15" 1968 wheels.  What is different are the centers.  The 68 wheels have the dimpled centers that the lugs go through.  On the 69 15" A-12 wheels; the wheels have a circular . raised looking plate that the lugs go through.

Well, it probably won’t matter anyway. At this point I’m most likely going with the ‘68 dog dish caps from the Revell Charger anyway.

Steve

11 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Steve I believe the stripe only came in three colors Black, White , Red. the interior colors Black, Red, Blue, Green White , hope this helps !The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1968 Dodge Dealership Data Book - Coronet (hamtramck-historical.com)

As far as the stripes; black and white were the most common.  The cars that used the red stripes , the bodies were black or silver.  The red tail stripe really isn't red.  It has a slight orange tinge to it.

41 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

As far as the stripes; black and white were the most common.  The cars that used the red stripes , the bodies were black or silver.  The red tail stripe really isn't red.  It has a slight orange tinge to it.

I’m going to assume that being as the red stripe was available, it could be ordered on a white car. 
No idea if they are strictly factory, but I’ve seen numerous examples on line in white with red stripes.

I’m pretty sure that I’ll be going with that.

Steve

Here is a link to the two pages of the Coronet dealer color and trim guide....

68_Coronet0001.jpg (1050×1050) (hamtramck-historical.com)

68_Coronet0002.jpg (1050×1050) (hamtramck-historical.com)

and the actual pages....

68_Coronet0001.jpg5

68_Coronet0002.jpg

So your plan for White with Red interior is a recommended combo per the above chart.  Note that the three bumble bee stripe colors are not restricted to specific exterior colors.  White with a red stripe sounds like a good plan to me.  The stripes in the later years were definitely an orangish red (like the ones on my own 1/1 scale '74 Road Runner, which I always called "Tomato Red" ) but not entirely sure that applied in 1968.   I vaguely recall those stripes as being a more pure red color. '

The above color sample page is correct in showing the 1968 red interior vinyl as being a dark red metallic-ish color rather than the bright red that was in play in the following years in Mopars. 

Best...TIM 

Correct the red interiors in 68 and prior definitely have a pearl look to them ( my 66 is said interior ) Where as 69 red interiors are very much a tomato red that has zero pearl tint to it

And Yes, red stripe was avail on pretty much any exterior color, just some may not be ' non recommended' so to speak .

As far as a 15" steel wheel with beenie hubcaps was standard on Hemi cars in 1968 but not 100% sure of they were avail non hemi cars unless it was a police car or taxi . SO maybe keep that in mind on power train choice

1968 hemi cars would have F70-15 tires  ( same goes for 1969 btw )

the 1969 A12 was G70-15

7 hours ago, tim boyd said:

68_Coronet0018.jpg

If you look at the paint section it calls our bumble bee OR double body side stripes. This was a double pin stripe. It was actually fairly common on the R/T in 68. It is rarely seen today as most restored cars sport the bumble bee stripe.

18 minutes ago, Carmak said:

If you look at the paint section it calls our bumble bee OR double body side stripes. This was a double pin stripe. It was actually fairly common on the R/T in 68. It is rarely seen today as most restored cars sport the bumble bee stripe.

That might be an interesting option. I might look into it.

Steve

10 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Correct the red interiors in 68 and prior definitely have a pearl look to them ( my 66 is said interior ) Where as 69 red interiors are very much a tomato red that has zero pearl tint to it

And Yes, red stripe was avail on pretty much any exterior color, just some may not be ' non recommended' so to speak .

As far as a 15" steel wheel with beenie hubcaps was standard on Hemi cars in 1968 but not 100% sure of they were avail non hemi cars unless it was a police car or taxi . SO maybe keep that in mind on power train choice

1968 hemi cars would have F70-15 tires  ( same goes for 1969 btw )

the 1969 A12 was G70-15

The police and taxi Coronets were only equipped with the 14" steel wheels , not 15" wheels.

On 2/18/2021 at 6:56 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

In light of the information that I’ve received from the wonderful members here, I believe that I’ll be sticking with my original plan of white with red stripes and a red interior. I’ve had thoughts of silver with red, but if so, I had better decide soon because if I go with silver, I’m leaning towards a black vinyl top with it.

Steve

Black vinyl top over white doesn't look too shabby either, IMHO:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/what-it-hasnt-got-you-dont-need-1968-dodge-coronet-r-t

On 2/18/2021 at 9:18 PM, Carmak said:

No kidding!  A prelim Google image search turned up almost no examples. Did find a link to a YouTube walk around of a white example with the double body side stripes:

Definitely more low key than the bumble bees...

Edited by Robberbaron

2 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Black vinyl top over white doesn't look too shabby either, IMHO:

I'm just not feeling the black top with white and red.

But for some reason I have the feeling that it would look okay with silver.

Go figure. :P

2 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Definitely more low key than the bumble bees...

Yeah, after seeing the white presented with this option, I definitely feel that it needs a little more "flash".

Bumble bee stripes it will be.

Steve