Model Cars Magazine Forum

White walls

42 minutes ago, peteski said:

If for a vintage project, American SATCO made excellent wide-whitewall tire set (I)

Those show up on eBay from time to time.

"Modelhaus Tires" makes exact replicas of the old Satco whitewalls.

Here is an example of a model with the Modelhaus tires.

image.jpeg.0e3b3edc4ae330b67a50003dc8424f7a.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

If you or your spouse have a vinyl cutter, like Cricut or Silhouette, you can also cut them on thin white vinyl.

The other thing I have done with good success, is to use a circle template, and using the right size hold firmly against the tire and spray white acrylic. The rear whitewalls on this "Spearmin-T" I painted using the circle template.   mint t 1

image.png.ca455cfac06e7f5e5ae88442414e965b.png

6 hours ago, peteski said:

How durable is that water-based paint on a rubber or vinyl tire?  Will it rub off easily?

I was concerned about that when I first started using the Sharpie paint pen, but I've been very pleased that it is very durable and permanent and doesn't rub off, crack or even turn yellow with age. I first did it this way back in the 1990's and well over 25 years later, the whitewalls still look good. 

Before that, I'd tried oil based white paint pens, but they never dried and even weeks later were still sticky.