Model Cars Magazine Forum

Non-vented paint booth

All I saw was a book.  That said, some people double or triple up on the filters in a vented booth and don't vent it outdoors. The theory being the filters catch the paint over spray. But I doubt it will do much for fumes when using solvent paints ( fumes meaning the smell, especially with hot lacquer). Fine for acrylics.

41 minutes ago, youpey said:

I once saw a video of a guy that uses a wet dry vac as his exhaust fan. he basically sucks the air into the vacuum. i am not sure how safe or well it works. 

No good, I saw a couple of years ago where a guy tried this and the vac blew up and busted his arm. Think about it, 5 gallon or larger bomb of concealed fumes with an unsealed motor on top ! Possibly the worst scenario you could create.

Edited by Dave G.

3 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

No good, I saw a couple of years ago where a guy tried this and the vac blew up and busted his arm. Think about it, 5 gallon or larger bomb of concealed fumes with an unsealed motor on top ! Possibly the worst scenario you could create.

I deleted my post. if its unsafe i dont want to give people any ideas

I always tell folks to do themselves a favor and buy the Pace spray booth. Low end one is about $250 delivered. 

It’s not worth messing around to have some rigged up contraption blow up and hurt you or burn down your house.

Money spent on the right tools is money well spent. Good tools will last a lifetime.

On 4/26/2021 at 2:12 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I always tell folks to do themselves a favor and buy the Pace spray booth. Low end one is about $250 delivered...

Problem is that not everyone in this hobby has an extra $250 lying around.

A genuine Coast Guard-approved 12V bilge fan is by definition "sealed", can be powered from a car battery or an old model train transformer, can be had cheap, and with a little ingenuity, a cardboard box, some duct tape, a furnace filter and some dryer hose, can make a very functional and safe paint booth.

NOTE: A "BILGE FAN" is intended to be used to ventilate the hull of a gasoline-powered boat prior to engine start...to suck possibly explosive gas fumes out of a confined space.

Quoting from boaterexam.com:

"If your boat is powered by gasoline, it needs to have a ventilation system. That’s because fumes from your engine can collect in the bilge creating the potential for a powerful and dangerous explosion.

Powered ventilation systems are required on boats built after 1980 with installed fuel tanks or an enclosed engine.

It's important to note that boats with powered ventilation systems should be turned on and let it run for four full minutes before starting the engine! This ensures all gasoline fumes have been removed before ignition."

NOTE 2: Not all bilge-fans are Coast Guard-approved, so do your own due-diligence when researching one for a paint-booth application.

NOTE 3: You still need to vent any paint both to the outside.

NOTE 4: A buncha DIY info:   https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/88298-diy-spray-booth/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy