Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mike Flynn's passing

Modlbldr

I'm not sure if anybody here knew Mike Flynn. He worked in the past at Pegasus Hobbies in California. He had resided in Spokane, Wa for the last decade or so. He passed early Thursday, May 13th of Renal failure.  

I had the amazing privilege of calling him Friend since meeting him in 2007. Mike was an outstanding model builder and a very generous and warm-hearted man.  I will miss him terribly!

Many of the parts and kits I have were freely given to me by Mike. His knowledge of kit parts and many things drag and hot rod related were shared with me.

I have been given the chance to go through Mike's things and sell off what I can for Dorothy. It will be a monumental task but one I look forward to, if for no other reason than to reminisce.

I LOVE you Buddy!!

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

So sorry to hear that , he was a great builder. Do you know if he ever worked at Tomcat Hobbies in Riverside Ca. ?

You knew Mike? He definitely had some talent.

I don't recall ever hearing him talk about Tomcat Hobbies. 

Later-

He mentioned to me a few times over the years about a top fuel car he built for one of the famous drivers. A picture of him with it was included in one of the early Plastic Fanatics mags (I believe). He also used to do slush cast bodies.

Later-

On 5/14/2021 at 7:08 PM, Vince Nemanic said:

I first met Mike when he showed his ZZ Top Eliminator Space Shuttle at NNL West in the mid 1980s. He was always nice to talk with.

Vince,

I found these photos last night while sorting through some boxes! I'd never heard him talk about this build and had never seen it. I'm glad you mentioned it, otherwise I would have never known it was his build. Looks like a cool build!

Later-

20210518_052541.jpg

20210518_052600.jpg

20210518_052619.jpg

20210518_052637.jpg

Tom, thanks for the pics of the ZZ Top shuttle. Mike built this shortly after the album came out.  I have long forgotten, but he told me exactly which kits he used. I'm sure the car was the 1/32 Eliminator snap kit, but I don't remember what scale or manufacturer  the shuttle kit was.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:48 AM, cobraman said:

So sorry to hear that , he was a great builder. Do you know if he ever worked at Tomcat Hobbies in Riverside Ca. ?

Ray,

I asked his wife, Dorothy if he worked at Tomcat Hobbies and she said that he did. Yet another thing I did not know. Thank you.

Later-

4 hours ago, cobraman said:

I sure wish I would have been sure at the time. I would have asked questions and talked to him till he threw me out !

Lol. Knowing Mike you would probably have been there a long time. He really enjoyed talking about models and 1:1's.

Later-