Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Ford Skyliner

ModelcarJR

Thanks, David and Dave! I appreciate your comments! Dave, the blue color is Tamiya Coral Blue. I also used Krylon Semi-Gloss white followed by two coats of Krylon Clear Lacquer on the body and related parts. 

Edited by ModelcarJR
correct an error

On 7/12/2021 at 9:23 PM, mustang1989 said:

Lookin' good John! I got a chance to see a 54 Skyliner at Dicks classic car museum in San Marcos before it closed down.  Never even knew they existed before that and thought it was a very interesting vehicle. The fact that it had a glass panel in the hood made it even more interesting. 

My Dad had a '54 Skyliner as a beater "work car" for awhile.  It was old by then and starting to rust in the rockers and quarter-panels.  The glass panel in the hood is not stock, but you knew that.  Somebody must have added it to match the roof.  Which is a pretty clever idea.

Another interesting thing about those Skyliners:  they came with a snap-in "aluminized nylon" sun-shade for the Plexiglas roof.  The snaps ran around the inside of the clear roof part.  The cover was long gone from Dad's old beater, and in a Southern summer, it got HOT in there!  Even though Ford claimed otherwise.

Here's a good article on the Skyliner and its sibling, the Mercury Sun Valley:

Green Sky Above: Skyliner and Sun Valley offered a tinted perspective. | Hemmings

21 hours ago, Mike999 said:

The glass panel in the hood is not stock, but you knew that.  Somebody must have added it to match the roof.  Which is a pretty clever idea.

The hood with the glass panel was an accessory Ford provided to dealers to show their new Y block OHV V8. So it wasn't just some home brew. 

http://www.packautomotivemuseum.com/c446.html

On 7/22/2021 at 11:03 PM, Mike999 said:

My Dad had a '54 Skyliner as a beater "work car" for awhile.  It was old by then and starting to rust in the rockers and quarter-panels.  The glass panel in the hood is not stock, but you knew that.  Somebody must have added it to match the roof.  Which is a pretty clever idea.

Another interesting thing about those Skyliners:  they came with a snap-in "aluminized nylon" sun-shade for the Plexiglas roof.  The snaps ran around the inside of the clear roof part.  The cover was long gone from Dad's old beater, and in a Southern summer, it got HOT in there!  Even though Ford claimed otherwise.

Here's a good article on the Skyliner and its sibling, the Mercury Sun Valley:

Green Sky Above: Skyliner and Sun Valley offered a tinted perspective. | Hemmings

Thanks Mike for the article, I enjoyed it..

• Thanks 1

TY , I am pleased to see your fortitude to fruition on this project . I have 3 Frozen WIPS of these waiting for my attention . Builder's lock up :( . Most excellent Replica . Yes , the Skyliner Chassis , modified floor are common with the Wagon and Ranchero . The  Gas Tank Relocation was required on all 3 Models . VS the Passenger Cars . Kudos .. Thanx

Nice job John! Love the color too!

I built this car a long long time ago. I just stared at the kit for a long time afraid it would just turn out a mess if I tried to build it but once started found it wasn't as bad as anticipated to build!

Built mine long before I ever tried bare metal foil so the trim is hand painted like a lot of my older builds.

photo10-vi.jpg
photo48-vi.jpg
photo7-vi.jpg
photo65-vi.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 6:15 PM, David G. said:

Beautifully Done!

It's great to see one of these come together.  I'm sure that over the years, there have been many of these started but few finished.

David G.

It does take determination. I built my first one (yellow plastic version) about 45 years ago. I was younger and more intrepid then, but the top operated too.