Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Camaro , continued


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Hey Mark, those fenders are looking real good all smoothed out like that ... It’s gonna’ look great painted!👍

Thanks, Josh. I'm hoping to put my first coat of primer on the body today. Having it all one color should help the way it looks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Put my first coat of primer on with a brush. Went on a little rough, but I did not reduce it down any, so next time it should be a little smoother. Doesn't really matter because I'll be sanding it down to get rid of the nooks and crannys here and there on the body anyway. I will use white primer the second time around so I can detect low spots easier. Pretty happy with the using of the brush. Now I can paint in air conditioned comfort the same place I do the build.

 

74camwipsfiprco1.jpg

74camwipsfiprco2.jpg

74camwipsfiprco3.jpg

74camwipsfiprco4.jpg

74camwipsfiprco5.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Camaro body looks good in primer, Mark....... I would not have thought to apply the primer by brush, as I always use rattle can grey, white, red or orange filler primer, but you have set me thinking now !

David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

The Camaro body looks good in primer, Mark....... I would not have thought to apply the primer by brush, as I always use rattle can grey, white, red or orange filler primer, but you have set me thinking now !

David

Pierre Rivard got me thinking about brush when I saw the great work he was doing with it. He started the "The Brush Painters Society" over in another forum and I joined and plan on doing nothing but brush painting from now on.  click on the link below and see for yourself.

Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums :: View topic - The Brush Painters Society (randyayersmodeling.com)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Pierre Rivard got me thinking about brush when I saw the great work he was doing with it. He started the "The Brush Painters Society" over in another forum and I joined and plan on doing nothing but brush painting from now on.  click on the link below and see for yourself.

Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums :: View topic - The Brush Painters Society (randyayersmodeling.com)

Hey Mark. I looked at some of Pierre’s cars in the link... not too shabby for brushed on. I especially like the weathering he did on the underbelly. I was wondering though, does he use primer or just flat paint for his base layer?... It appears he’s developed some good formulas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Venom said:

Hey Mark. I looked at some of Pierre’s cars in the link... not too shabby for brushed on. I especially like the weathering he did on the underbelly. I was wondering though, does he use primer or just flat paint for his base layer?... It appears he’s developed some good formulas.

I'm not sure if he uses an actual primer. I believe Pierre posts here at model car mag so you could probably shoot him a private message to ask him. The Vallejo gray is a very good primer surfacer, and I needed that for all the nooks and crannys I need to fill on this build. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This primer, when dry, is an extremely hard surface to sand. I had to go down to 600 grit to actually cut into it and do any productive sanding. My next coat will be thinned, so hopefully there wont be huge brush marks. I will probably have to do more coats, but it will be worth it, to not have to sand so much. I will use the same body I used for the chrome moulding study, to get the thinner, which will be distilled water, just right. So  I can come up with a smoother finish , and less sanding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are doing some truly amazing (actually jaw-dropping) work on this Camaro.  I have followed many of your other projects and did not expect anything less.  I see you cut out your fenders the way I used to; now, I use my Dremel with a sanding drum and just sort of sneak up on the line.  Looking forward to more updates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

You are doing some truly amazing (actually jaw-dropping) work on this Camaro.  I have followed many of your other projects and did not expect anything less.  I see you cut out your fenders the way I used to; now, I use my Dremel with a sanding drum and just sort of sneak up on the line.  Looking forward to more updates.

Thanks , Ricky. I don't trust myself with a dremel. I have one but seldom use it. Thanks again for the kind words.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a little too thick with the primer and started to fill up the door and trunk lines. I tryed to scribe the lines with my scribing tool and the primer did not come out of the groove cleanly . It just balled up down to the original orange plastic, so now I have a mess up, thats going to be hard to fix. I hate to have to strip the primer and start over again. Dont even know if the purple stuff will strip this primer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

I got a little too thick with the primer and started to fill up the door and trunk lines. I tryed to scribe the lines with my scribing tool and the primer did not come out of the groove cleanly . It just balled up down to the original orange plastic, so now I have a mess up, thats going to be hard to fix. I hate to have to strip the primer and start over again. Dont even know if the purple stuff will strip this primer.

Oh no, Mark..... disaster strikes when you least expect it...... This sort of thing has hit me so many times with my most recent build. So hard to deal with !

I find that sleeping on it, and come back to the workbench the following morning with a fresh approach usually helps.

David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

Sorry about the issue my friend.  I've gotten to where anytime I try to scribe something I slip and get off track messing it up. 

Anyway, you'll get it corrected and BTW, the work on the flairs is awesome.

Thanks, Mike. I think I can fix it . Just have to not lose my patience at this juncture of the build. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Venom said:

Mark,  ^^^^^^ good advice above .... I’m really sorry you’ve got this one to sort out now, and believe me, I feel your pain!

Thanks, Josh. Hopefully its just a bump in the road. I will know better after the coat of white primer goes on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Oh no, Mark..... disaster strikes when you least expect it...... This sort of thing has hit me so many times with my most recent build. So hard to deal with !

I find that sleeping on it, and come back to the workbench the following morning with a fresh approach usually helps.

David

Thanks, David. I know one thing. There is no way I'm stripping and starting over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MarkJ said:

Thanks, David. I know one thing. There is no way I'm stripping and starting over. 

I would be thinking the same, having got this far into a lengthy build. White primer is a good idea, and then you should be able to see where this is going.

David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been having a problem with priming which you will see in the latest photos. I put the primer on with the brush and then to get rid of the brush strokes I wet sand. In order to get rid of the stokes, I end up sanding back down to the gray primer or even the orange body. I have decided on my next attempt to dab the primer on instead of brush it on. Maybe it will flow out better and I wont have to sand as hard to get a smooth surface to apply the color coat. I'm not giving up on using a brush. 

74camwipswhprfa1.jpg

74camwipswhprfa2.jpg

74camwipswhprfa3.jpg

74camwipswhprfa4.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Courage my friend. It took me a while. From my experience if you see a brush stroke when applying, the paint is still too viscous. Stop ans wash the body immediately. Dilute the pain more and apply a thinner coat...if that makes sense.

Edited by Pierre Rivard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Courage my friend. It took me a while. From my experience if you see a brush stroke when applying, the paint is still too viscous. Stop ans wash the body immediately. Dilute the pain more and apply a thinner coat...if that makes sense.

That makes perfect sense, Pierre. I've been playing with different strokes and thinning of paint and finally started getting good results when I got to 7 drops of thinner to 7 drops of primer. I used a smaller brush and made short dabby strokes just trying to get the paint on without any brush marks. kind of pushing the paint along watching it carefully to keep it wet. knowing that when it dried it would be less thick and no brush marks. Hopefully I wont have to sand as much when this primer drys. Thanks for your input. If this works out okay I will report about it in the brush painter society thread. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...