Model Cars Magazine Forum

Candy Blue Paint

F/CNUT

Transparent blue over a metallic light blue base.

This happens to be HOK candy true blue over a metallic light blue base I made by adding a bit of the candy blue to some silver.

How light or dark is determined by how dark your base is and how many coats of candy blue you put over it.  Remember always use multiple coats of clear if youre going to wet sand and polish out the paint like I did with this.

also "candy paint" just means it's a clear paint tinted with whatever color. 

IMG 2083

IMG 2079

• Like 1

There are several ways to get a "Candy Blue" paint color and the picture of CanCon's beautiful looking Chevy pickup is a great example of one. The famous SWC Gasser was raced in a few different shades plus even Black at on time. The color most often seen was a lighter shade of Metallic Blue but not a Candy color. I would find a couple of pictures of the car done in the color you're wanting. Post the picture here and I'll bet you'll get a lot of info on how to replicate the color you're after. As for doing a Candy Blue consider using either a Metallic Silver base coat for a bright finish or a Metallic Gold for a darker or deep finish. The color coat would be a Candy Blue or Blue tinted top coat.  

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for the input. I will see what I can up with. I have some pictures of the mustang and there paint jobs are on the medium to a little on the dark side. I have been looking the Vallejo Candy Blue, Spaz Stix candy blue, Alclad II Electric candy blue, or maybe Dupli-Color Perfect match Sonic Blue Pearl BFM0378. Here are some pictures that I'am using.

STONE WOOD AND COOK SWINDLER III MUSTANG FC #1.jpg

StoneWoodsCookMustangFC5-vi.jpg

• Like 1

The SWC Swindler 2 and 3 were a darker blue than the first one, which was almost a "baby" blue.  On the Swindler II that I built from the 80's rerelease of the Revell kit, I painted it with Tamiya gold base and Tamiya Pearl blue. IMO, the Duplicolor is the closest match to the upper of the two pictures posted.

Stephen, Thanks for the good info. When you painted the car with Tamiya paint, how dark was it? I plan on building car in the top picture. Chuck Boerner is doing the decals for that car and I thought that the Dupli- color would work fine but I' am going to test hat paint out. Thanks again.