Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maserati Tipo 151/3

Well, there is an old saying "you get what you pay for" and I certainly got what I paid for with this 3D download my mate printed for me.  It's a representation of the 151/3 when first presented to the ACO at Le Mans.  The rear vision was not acceptable and it had to be modified to the Tipo 151/3 that most people know.  It's a reasonable starting point to build a passable model so wish me luck!!

I have started gathering the basic things I need to build it from my resin parts boxes, wheels & tyres, seats, transmission tunnel and steering wheel.  I also have plenty of styrene of various thicknesses and Milliput epoxy putty.

I'm hoping the download of the Maserati A6GC Zagato I have ordered is better, it was not cheap!

Dave B

IMG_8185.JPG

IMG_8182.JPG

IMG_8183.JPG

IMG_8184.JPG

You would get a better quality print if you used a resin printer rather than a filament printer. Or have Shapeways print it. The Maserati Zagato will be very complex and will be a serious learning experience for you. Keep us posted.

The good news is I'm getting somewhere with 151/3.  I've started by deepening the body 2mm, lengthened and reprofiled the nose, reprofiled the exterior of the rear cabin area, reprofiled the tail, initially opened a few vents and scribed some appropriate panel lines.  It's now starting to look a little like 151/3 as most of us know it.  Now it's time for some primer and some finer tuning.

The bad news is the Zagato is not available in a file that my mate can handle so I'm looking at an A6GCS Spyder by Fantuzzi.  Hopefully that will be.

Tks for looking.

Dave B

IMG_8191.JPG

IMG_8188.JPG

IMG_8189.JPG

IMG_8190.JPG

• 1 month later...

Final WIP post. Have been busy finalizing body shape and making the mould for the windscreen.  Sprayed a clear coat on this morning just to see how it looks, with a polish it will come up fine.

Tks for looking.

Dave B

IMG_8204.JPG

IMG_8201.JPG

IMG_8202.JPG

6 hours ago, absmiami said:

those racing stripes are really sharp ...

I'm looking at those wheels and I'm thinking that this is a 43rd scale  ??

is it 43 or 24 ???

Hi Andrew, it's 1/24th, the wheels are made up from Herb Deeks photoetched spokes and cut down Italeri rims.

Dave B