Model Cars Magazine Forum

WC-63 now on work bench

Sorry again, another duplicate post that I can't delete, but while I'm here, is there not a way to roll an edge in thin metal creating a tube that a wire could be fed into for a hinge? Iโ€™ll should visitย the Tips forum for hinge ideasโ€ฆ

Edited by hct728(Bob)

Glass will fit into the back side of the windshield frame.ย  The 1/16 angle forms a perfect area for it to fit in.ย  A way to go before paint though.ย  I was able to scrounge just enough of two smallย  piano hinge leftovers to make up one for the hood top.ย  Got those soldered in place.ย  Hood sides will be done with single small "H" hinges.ย ย 

1 hour ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Glass will fit into the back side of the windshield frame.ย  The 1/16 angle forms a perfect area for it to fit in.ย  A way to go before paint though.ย  I was able to scrounge just enough of two smallย  piano hinge leftovers to make up one for the hood top.ย  Got those soldered in place.ย  Hood sides will be done with single small "H" hinges.ย ย 

Hood sides? A four-piece hood, like a Model T or A? No detail missed, amazing!

Here are a couple of pix showing the completed hood pieces.ย  The "louvers" on the side are 0.030 quarter round Evergreen.ย  The small latches in the corners are just pieces of 1/64x1/32 strip stock bent and then soldered in place on the back side.ย  Had a chance to position the headlights.ย  I think next up is to do the front bumper and winch.

100_1492.JPG.d6971446378ed954567c1780a998b05b.JPG100_1493.JPG.5a57a24bb8f46e0197648834cd0f3fc2.JPG

• Like 1

Started work on the canvas top today.ย  I'm using 3 ply facial tissue with one of the ply's removed.ย  It was then painted with a mixture of warm water and white glue.ย  I'll let this set until it is dry and then give it one more coat.ย  Then I can trim the tissue and paint it inside and outside.

100_1506.JPG.074a9603d6a1f592a45bac45b7f4c752.JPG100_1507.JPG.c9f3f716f7146078044fe8e6978c2adf.JPG

Wow, looks great in green! Ironic, the replication a soft skin unit with a hard shell, LOL! Neat how well a simple idea like the tissue tarp can appear so realistic with some tweaking, even better if you can roll up the sides, yet anotherย superlative detail, it just gets better and better

The buckles are just U-shaped pieces of wire.ย  The ends of them tuck down into the roll so you can't see the ends.ย  Then I took a fine black pen and painted some dots on the strips of paper to look like the punched-out holes in a belt.ย  A separate piece of paper was laid on top of the original to represent the part that goes through the buckle.ย  Then the U-shaped wire was added.

Got some more work done in the last couple of days.ย  Tow hooks added to the front bumper, spare tire bracket made up and installed.ย  Headlights glued into the buckets and a tarp was made between windshield and the body.ย  I temporarily tacked the tarp at the ends so I can remove the windshield and cab for interior work.ย  Did up the seats as well.

093.JPG.f47418c2a2e7c6f1cdb0658d71248c28.JPG

With a stroll thru the internet it looks like there is a rod or bar inside the cab roof along the edge from the windshield to the roof. Even one picture where the cab roof is rolled up against the back roof edge. Just suggestions as always your models are works of art (quit copying his work๐Ÿ˜)

greg