Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Oldsmobile 442(from an AMT '64 Olds 442) - FINISHED

crowe-t

1 hour ago, Trendsetta68 said:

Wow, that body and chassis work is incredibly gorgeous! 

😇👍🏼

Thanks Tony!  I've been putting a lot of work into this one for my friend.  I'll be able to start painting it soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I made the fuel gauge, tach with shift light and the directional lever.  The directional lever is a straight pin with 1.6 mm styrene rod on the end that I shaped for the handle.  The printed gauges and bezels are from The Model Car Garage.  These will be used for the tach, fuel gauge and the five gauges on the dash board.

IMG_3415 Small.jpg

IMG_3418 Small.jpg

IMG_3421 Small.jpg

IMG_3425 Small.jpg

IMG_3426 Small.jpg

IMG_3433 Small.jpg

IMG_3443 Small.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on some details.  I made the tow tabs for the front bumper, the license plate holders, and the kill switch for the rear tail panel.

I also made the remote breathers under the hood and a couple of other details.  The radiator is done.  I started making the power steering pump, Hurst line lock and the spacer plate that goes under the carburetor.  The carburetor is from Ron Coon Resins. 

IMG_3460 Small.jpg

IMG_3464 Small.jpg

IMG_3468 Small.jpg

IMG_3474 Small.jpg

IMG_3560 Small.jpg

IMG_3561 Small.jpg

IMG_3564 Small.jpg

IMG_3566 Small.jpg

IMG_3569 Small.jpg

IMG_3573 Small.jpg

IMG_3577 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/10/2022 at 11:07 AM, espo said:

Been following your build and the attention to the fine details to replicate the 1:1 is amazing. 

Thanks David!

I'm finishing the small details now and will be starting to paint it in the next few days. 

• 1 month later...

I started painting the interior.  I used Testors Acryl Insignia Red.  The rear package tray and front seats are slightly lighter like the real car.  I added a drop of white to the Insignia Red for those.  The dash pad is slightly darker.  I added a drop of black to the Insignia Red.  I sprayed Alclad White Aluminum on the dash face.  For the carpeting I used WOW! Primary Apple Red Super Fine embossing powder.  The apple red was a bit bright compared to the Insignia Red so I thinned some Insignia Red and misted it on the embossing powder to blend it more with the rest of the interior.  I painted the MSD box that goes under the dash.  I applied the decal to the MSD box but haven't taken a picture yet.  Bare Metal Foil was added to the interior trim. 

The roll bar is painted with Testors Acryl Aircraft Interior Black with Gunze Mr. Super Clear Gloss. 

I have to finish painting the steering wheel and some of the other details and glue it all together.

I'm getting the body ready for paint.  I sprayed the headliner and sprayed some Testors Aircraft Interior Black inside the fenders and quarter panels.  These will be masked when I spray the body. 

IMG_3853 Small.jpg

IMG_3854 Small.jpg

IMG_3856 Small.jpg

IMG_3866 Small.jpg

IMG_3872 Small.jpg

IMG_3874 Small.jpg

IMG_3897 Small.jpg

IMG_3904 Small.jpg

IMG_3908 Small.jpg

IMG_3925 Small.jpg

IMG_3927 Small.jpg

IMG_3932 Small.jpg

IMG_3935 Small.jpg

IMG_3937 Small.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I re-built the rear floor where the fuel cell is.  I had the 1mm x 1mm frame glued in and it was hard painting it.  I cut it all out and made the 1mm x 1mm frame and fuel cell separate.  They'll be glued in after it's all painted. 

I painted the floor/chassis Testors Acryl Aircraft Interior Black.  The floor has flat clear and the 1mm x 1mm frame, rear end and transmission crossmember has a mix of semi-gloss and gloss clear.  I also misted some of the mix of semi-gloss and gloss clear on the frame.  The sheet metal under the 1mm x 1mm frame is painted with Alsa Easy Chrome over white.  I sprayed the Alsa Easy Chrome a bit thicker so it doesn't look shiny like chrome and gives more of an aluminum look. 

I put printed gauges and bezels from The Model Car Garage on the dash and tach.

Last night I started masking the hood and trunk lid stripes.  The wide stripes will be painted and the outer thin stripes will be 1/64" wide black decal stripes from Microscale.

IMG_4015 Small.jpg

IMG_4017 Small.jpg

IMG_4021 Small.jpg

IMG_4165 Small.jpg

IMG_4184 Small.jpg

IMG_4149 Small.jpg

IMG_4213 Small.jpg

IMG_4221 Small.jpg

• Like 1

I masked the side molding to spray some black in the channels.  When I apply the Bare Metal Foil I'll leave the black in the channels showing like the real car has.

The wide stripes are painted and I sprayed some gloss clear on the body and hood.  The thin stripes along side the wide stripes will be 1/64" stripe decals.  I might also run some 1/64" black stripes down the sides of the wide stripes to take care of any imperfections.  I also need to put small black decals in the rears of the side quarter panel scoops.  

IMG_4226 Small Auto Color.jpg

IMG_4229 Small Auto Color.jpg

IMG_4241 Small.jpg

IMG_4246 Small.jpg

IMG_4254 Small.jpg

IMG_4258 Small.jpg

IMG_4264 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

I applied the 1/64" black thin stripe decals next to the wide stripes on the hood and trunk lid today.  I also put some 1/64" black stripes down the sides of the wide stripes to take care of any imperfections caused by the masking tape when I painted them.

I put some small black decals in the rears of the quarter panel side scoops.

IMG_4272 Small.jpg

IMG_4273 Small.jpg

IMG_4279 Small.jpg

IMG_4282 Small.jpg

IMG_4289 Small.jpg

IMG_4294 Small.jpg

IMG_4296 Small.jpg

IMG_4303 Small.jpg

IMG_4309 Small.jpg

• Like 2

I finished the steering wheel.  The decal on the horn button is from a Revell '85 442 kit.  The K&N air cleaner is painted with a Testors Acryl Insignia Red and Aircraft Interior Black mix.  I applied a black wash over it.  The filter was then masked and I sprayed the edges black and then sprayed Alclad Aqua Gloss over before spraying Alsa Easy Chrome.  The bolt on top is made from a 1.5 mm hex rod.

The wheels were airbrushed by rotating them and keeping the airbrush in a fixed position.  This helped keep the finish smooth.  They were sprayed with light gray primer and then Alclad Aqua Gloss with Alsa Easy Chrome on top.  The light gray primer helped give them more of a polished aluminum look.

IMG_4313 Small.jpg

IMG_4317 Small.jpg

IMG_4318 Small.jpg

IMG_4327 Small.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did some more work on the interior.  I attached the photo etch door handles and window rollers I got from The Model Car Garage.  The small Oldsmobile symbols on the door panels are PE keychains in the 1966 and 1972 Oldsmobile 442 PE sets from The Model Car Garage.

The fire extinguisher is mounted on the roll bar as well as a roll bar pad on the horizontal bar behind the front seats.  I got the roll bar padding from Pro Tech.

I glued in the boxes on the transmission tunnel and the MSD box under the dash board.

The 5 point harnesses from Futurattraction are now assembled and installed and the roll bar and seats are glued in.

I attached a picture of one of the front seats showing the harness from my friend's 442.

IMG_4409 Small.jpg

IMG_4417 Small.jpg

IMG_4420 Small.jpg

IMG_4424 Small.jpg

IMG_4430 Small.jpg

IMG_4462 Small.jpg

IMG_4466 Small.jpg

IMG_4476 Small.jpg

IMG_1253 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

• crowe-t changed the title to 1965 Oldsmobile 442(from an AMT '64 Olds 442) - FINISHED