Model Cars Magazine Forum

Masking Tape Leaking -2 tone Paint Job

I have had stress free results using  a combination of Bare Metal Foil for the color separation line Using about a half inch wide piece of foil. I then use as cheap a roll of masking tape with clean copy paper to mask against overspray. Have used this technique multiple times and never got bleed through/under.

Jim Dodson

Rockwall, TX

2 hours ago, Jim Dodson said:

I have had stress free results using  a combination of Bare Metal Foil for the color separation line Using about a half inch wide piece of foil. I then use as cheap a roll of masking tape with clean copy paper to mask against overspray. Have used this technique multiple times and never got bleed through/under.

Jim Dodson

Rockwall, TX

Next time you are at your local home improvement store, stop in the painting section and pick up a roll of masking paper.

That way, you can save your printing paper for your printer. ;)

image.jpeg.25c1cab82872a2e161b0df34ff73b463.jpeg

Steve

I mask with Tamiya tape then spray a thin coat of clear to seal the tape line, once the clear is dry then Spray your main color over it and you should have no problems with bleeding. I also use kitchen plastic wrap or newspaper to cover the parts of the body i dont want overspray to ruin. Ive had some very bad results with Blue painters tape leaving residue on my paint jobs that took some extra effort to get off, not always but its happened several times.

Edited by kymdlr

I prefer to use Tamiya tape. I have it in a dispenser, but learned to cut off at least the first half inch or so before sticking it to the model part. Somehow, that first part of the tape loses its stickiness.

I also use the blue painters tape, and even have some green painters tape. I don't usually have a lot of problems with them.

To cover large areas of a model body, after I place the tape in position, I use wax paper with tape along the edges. Never had any paint get by the wax paper.

On 11/18/2021 at 12:18 AM, Plowboy said:

The blue painters tape can work. But, it has to have a cut edge and be burnished well. The scallops on this '37 were masked with a single piece of 2".

20200525_154151-1.jpg.6da8b97cb363c29786c54989db1d1f37.jpg

This Silverado was also done with 2" blue painters tape.

20200829_111346-1.jpg.c8c4aadd4508d0a785bb2a929e83ac06.jpg

But, Tamiya tape is still better for more simple masking. When you buy it, spend the extra and get the dispenser. No ruined edges or lint stuck to it. Just pull it out and use it.

My man those are some SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTT! rides.