Model Cars Magazine Forum

Missing e-mail s

eastown

Hi:  Apparently when someone P.M. s me I cannot just hit the reply button after I type in my response . I have sent out several yesterday but were never received by the person who sent it to me, as I guess I do not their E-mail address. How do I go about correcting this.  Thanks   Bob

PMs are not emails.  PMs are conducted within the forum website.  Yes, do you get notified via email that you received a PM, but to reply you have go to the forum's website and reply here.

EDIT:  However I just send a test PM to myself and I have not yet received an email notifying me about the PM, so the forum's email notification might be slow, or broken.

About 2 weeks ago there was a problem with email notification. Maybe the problem is occurring again.  See:

Edited by peteski

No way I know of to directly email a member of the forum.  Forum does have member's emails, but another member does not have access to that info. Well, as far as I know.  You can only contact other members via PM (or by public message, which I have never tried).

If you want their email address, you need to ask them for it. The email you get from the forum is a notification that you have a PM. Replying to the notification email gets sent to one of the MCM accounts, and I get to see what you sent them. 

To reply to the PM, you need to come to the forum and reply there. 

2 hours ago, eastown said:

Right, so when someone sends me a PM, I come to the MCM  web, & unless that person that sent me the PM happens to be online when I  am online I would have no way to answer their  PM?

You can answer their PM and it goes into their box, that they can open next time they log in.

The site also sends an email notification to their registered email address letting them know they have a PM here, and from whom, but doesn't display the full text.

Like Bill has said, you can send a new PM or reply to one that was sent to you. Your message will go to the persons forum inbox, does not matter if they are online or not, and they will get a notification that they have an unread message.

I sent you a PM and you should see a notification at the upper right of any forum page. There should be a number above the envelope symbol. Click on the envelope and it will open a small version of the forum inbox. Click on an individual message to read it. At the bottom of the message is a box that you can type a reply in. Click submit reply button to send it.

PMs are similar in function to way email works (except that it is confined to PM exchanges between forum members within the forum itself, where as email can be anywhere to anyone on the Internet with a valid email address).  I suppose that (just like with standard emails), you can have almost live conversation if you and the PM recipient are both online in the forum and respond in real-time to each other's PMs.