Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Temporarily gluing panels in place?


Recommended Posts

I’m looking for a solution for holding body panels in place while fitting, leveling, and body working them. I.e. I’m building a dragster and it’s body is comprised of 5 separate pieces. Dragster bodies because their shape always seem to be a little twisted right out of the box. So a lot of sanding and fitting is necessary for a great finally result.

This question applies to other cars, not just dragsters (hoods, trunks, doors) that need to be leveled with the body better. Is there a certain type of glue or technique you guys use to hold the panels in place while sanding them or body working them together that is sturdy enough and easily broken free once the body work is done? 

I’m guessing a drop or two of CA glue would do the job but can be broken free and cleaned up before paint since it doesn’t melt the styrene. Just curious if there is trade secrets or tips to doing this that I don’t know of!

Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Revell Mickey Thompson Challenger has just about the worst panel fit ever kitted.

Start 3/4 of the way down page 2 of the thread below to see how I fixed it, including using a few touches of liquid cement to hold everything in alignment while harking on it.

Yes, it takes some skill and effort to break everything free and clean up the backsides of the panels, but to my mind, it's worth it.

 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY and ACCURACY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've done it both ways. Either a tiny drop of crazy glue or barely hit it with Tamiya Extra Thin. You're right about crazy glue being fairly easy to get apart and clean up. But, the Extra Thin works well also. It is a bit easier to get the panels back apart with the Extra Thin as long as you don't over do it. I had to glue the hood on this Firebird. 

20210319_212829-1.jpg.5dde1852fd49b9a0e484306ceef59beb.jpg

I temp glued it with Tamiya Extra Thin on each corner.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The Revell Mickey Thompson Challenger has just about the worst panel fit ever kitted.

Start 3/4 of the way down page 2 of the thread below to see how I fixed it, including using a few touches of liquid cement to hold everything in alignment while harking on it.

Yes, it takes some skill and effort to break everything free and clean up the backsides of the panels, but to my mind, it's worth it.

 

What a spectacular build! I had to look through the whole build because just looking at it for the information I was seeking was not enough! The raw aluminum technique looks awesome! Thanks for sharing your method!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

I've done it both ways. Either a tiny drop of crazy glue or barely hit it with Tamiya Extra Thin. You're right about crazy glue being fairly easy to get apart and clean up. But, the Extra Thin works well also. It is a bit easier to get the panels back apart with the Extra Thin as long as you don't over do it. I had to glue the hood on this Firebird. 

20210319_212829-1.jpg.5dde1852fd49b9a0e484306ceef59beb.jpg

I temp glued it with Tamiya Extra Thin on each corner.

 

Glad to know that either works! I have plenty of BSI CA glues but USPS seems to have been holding my Tamiya extra thin 45 minutes from my house for 4 days now 🤷‍♂️ So you had to graft the roof on? Guessing it was a Camaro roof on a Firebird Convertible? Either was that looks like one precise fit!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Joints between styrene parts made using small amount of 5-minute epoxy can be broken fairly easily.

I will be sure to add some to the arsenal. I have just been getting back into this so learning the right adhesive for each job still! Thanks for the info!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GlueSniffer said:

Glad to know that either works! I have plenty of BSI CA glues but USPS seems to have been holding my Tamiya extra thin 45 minutes from my house for 4 days now 🤷‍♂️ So you had to graft the roof on? Guessing it was a Camaro roof on a Firebird Convertible? Either was that looks like one precise fit!

Thanx! It was actually a Firebird coupe. But, out of the box, it has a wonky looking roof and quarter panels. It started out as an experiment to see if I could fix the body. But, I ended up building it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, GlueSniffer said:

What a spectacular build! I had to look through the whole build because just looking at it for the information I was seeking was not enough! The raw aluminum technique looks awesome! Thanks for sharing your method!

Thanks, and glad you found something useful there.   :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just tack things together with the Testors orange tube glue. Just a tack drop here and there, it will come apart pretty easy. If I really want to glue something solidly I use the Testors black bottle liquid glue, or more liquid than the orange tube anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...