Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Molotow Chrome Marker breakdown


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, conchan said:

No worries at all. 
Shipping from the US abroad (to Japan) is insane from almost every company.
There are many after market parts, paints, etc. that I'd love to try but just can't because of the shipping costs.  Not a real problem as I just have to look for alternate solutions. But it is an inconvenience. 
Stay safe and enjoy!

would it be any cheaper for you to order from australia? I'm in scotland and i find its often cheaper to order from bna modelworld on the web or a-modeller on ebay, than ordering from near to home and doesn't take much longer to be delivered

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/27/2022 at 1:16 AM, conchan said:

Interesting. I wonder why that is. 

Here is my speculation:

Those "chrome like" paints have thin flat shiny metallic particles (flakes) suspended in the liquid, which consists of the solvent which evaporates, and binder which is the clear resin which remains after the paint is dry, and which also encapsulates the metallic particles.  When in liquid form those flat metallic particles are free to rotate in all direction scattering light, appearing like swirling shimmering silver paint. Once sprayed onto the surface, when the solvent has not yet evaporated, those silver particles settled down in the liquid, aligning themselves flat on the painted surface. They stay that way until the solvent evaporates and the binder (clear resin) hardens protecting the silver particles), so they stay aligned  That creates the "chrome like" appearance.

I suspect that the airflow from a fan nearby keeps swirling the liquid (and the metallic particles) preventing them  from settling down flat as the solvent evaporates.  Since they metallic particles can't align as the paint dries, they will just look like silver paint (since they scatter, not reflect the light like a mirror).

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, conchan said:

Interesting. I wonder why that is. 

I know they're alcohol based and must evaporate really fast.  I've found I can use a little alcohol as a thinner and brush it on, getting better results than with the pen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, stitchdup said:

would it be any cheaper for you to order from australia? I'm in scotland and i find its often cheaper to order from bna modelworld on the web or a-modeller on ebay, than ordering from near to home and doesn't take much longer to be delivered

 Never tried ebay or bna modelworld but will look into them. 
Thanks for the suggestions. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Deathgoblin said:

I know they're alcohol based and must evaporate really fast.  I've found I can use a little alcohol as a thinner and brush it on, getting better results than with the pen.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, peteski said:

Here is my speculation:

Those "chrome like" paints have thin flat shiny metallic particles (flakes) suspended in the liquid, which consists of the solvent which evaporates, and binder which is the clear resin which remains after the paint is dry, and which also encapsulates the metallic particles.  When in liquid form those flat metallic particles are free to rotate in all direction scattering light, appearing like swirling shimmering silver paint. Once sprayed onto the surface, when the solvent has not yet evaporated, those silver particles settled down in the liquid, aligning themselves flat on the painted surface. They stay that way until the solvent evaporates and the binder (clear resin) hardens protecting the silver particles), so they stay aligned  That creates the "chrome like" appearance.

I suspect that the airflow from a fan nearby keeps swirling the liquid (and the metallic particles) preventing them  from settling down flat as the solvent evaporates.  Since they metallic particles can't align as the paint dries, they will just look like silver paint (since they scatter, not reflect the light like a mirror).

Makes sense when explained. 
Thanks for the information. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I've switched to the refill bottles. Been applying it with a fine point brush, which is easier than with the pen tips anyway. It's great not having to worry about fussing with the pen tips all the time.

Once I get my spray booth built i will be trying airbrushing it as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I've switched to the refill bottles. Been applying it with a fine point brush, which is easier than with the pen tips anyway. It's great not having to worry about fussing with the pen tips all the time.

Once I get my spray booth built i will be trying airbrushing it as well.

I’ve tried using a brush and that works but was hoping to avoid the masking. Thanks for replying. Let me know how the airbrushing works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a problem with the 4mm tip. I discovered that vigorous shaking, then pressing the tip in rapidly several times to really saturate it worked well. Also plan to try airbrushing in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...