Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions about a wheel

Saw this on ebay.  Supposedly optional BBS wheels for an MPC Chevy pickup.

mcm41.jpg.d34313db7ac148ba40cc4dfd37d1a2d3.jpg

1) Does anyone have pics of the 1:1 wheel these are based on?

2) Have any of you detailed a set of these and used them on a build?  Pics?

AMT '72 Chevy pickup. The '66 Thunderbird has a set of those in it now too.

Here's a link to a page with some BBS catalogues. 

https://vintagewheelcatalogs.com/bbs/

also a google search for BBS mesh wheel.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bbs+mesh+wheels&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjG_vjN0e72AhU4lXIEHS0ZAJ4Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=bbs+mesh+wheel&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgAMgUIABCABDIGCAAQCBAeMgQIABAYOgcIIxDvAxAnOgQIABBDOgQIABAeUIcUWKE3YJlEaABwAHgAgAGpAYgBoAmSAQM2LjWYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=mbhEYobOBriqytMPrbKA8Ak&bih=688&biw=1455

BBS is one of the larger wheel manufacturers worldwide and has made hundreds of wheel designs over the years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

AMT '72 Chevy pickup. The '66 Thunderbird has a set of those in it now too.

Here's a link to a page with some BBS catalogues. 

https://vintagewheelcatalogs.com/bbs/

also a google search for BBS mesh wheel.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bbs+mesh+wheels&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjG_vjN0e72AhU4lXIEHS0ZAJ4Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=bbs+mesh+wheel&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgAMgUIABCABDIGCAAQCBAeMgQIABAYOgcIIxDvAxAnOgQIABBDOgQIABAeUIcUWKE3YJlEaABwAHgAgAGpAYgBoAmSAQM2LjWYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=mbhEYobOBriqytMPrbKA8Ak&bih=688&biw=1455

BBS is one of the larger wheel manufacturers worldwide and has made hundreds of wheel designs over the years.

Agreed, they've made tons of wheels over the years.  I tried to do my due diligence before posting by conducting my own search, but never found a match.   

I guess I was hoping someone here would recognize them.  Maybe there's a clue in the date MPC first issued the kit with these wheels (pre-1988?)

In the 1/1 world those are called bbs rs. They came in 15, 16 and 17 inch versions and are a expensive wheel these days. They were also available in centrelock version which were mostly 16 inch and 8inch wide to fit the common slicks at the time. There are a lot of variations from bbs on the mesh design but rs are the ones vw guys hunt out. A rebuildable set can cost upwards of a grand, and I've seen rebuilt sets going for over 7500. Everything except the centres is still being reproduced. They were also an option wheel on bmw and vw. The amt scirocco has a set of these included along (that just need a wash with tamiya smoke to look decent) with stock scirocco rims. The tamiya sierra cossie has a similar set but rs were never made in 19inch so they may have been super rs but i believe those were a much later rim. In the vw fwd world these would be like cragars or american 5 spokes on muscle cars

1 minute ago, Bills72sj said:

I dunno about that. What about Big Red?

528121996_640.jpg

Not really the same design wheel. These are much more of a genuine racing wheel. They look like an LM used my some Porsche race cars.. 

And when I said "big American iron, I was referring to the Thunderbird and Chevy pickup kits those RS wheels came in. Definitely not in the same class as Big Red.

On 3/30/2022 at 4:47 PM, Can-Con said:

Not really the same design wheel. These are much more of a genuine racing wheel. They look like an LM used my some Porsche race cars.. 

And when I said "big American iron, I was referring to the Thunderbird and Chevy pickup kits those RS wheels came in. Definitely not in the same class as Big Red.

Now that I have studied the spoke pattern closer, you are correct.

On 3/31/2022 at 3:17 AM, stitchdup said:

is that the other forge mk1?

I don't really know what you're referring to Les. 

I don't know anything about that particular Mk1, just the best pic I found with the wheels on it.

The "maybe my next Mk1" is I have built 2 of the AMT 1/25 Rabbits/Mk1s and have a couple more in my stash to build yet. I do plan to do the next one in light blue and those wheels would be naturals on it.