Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ebbro/Tamiya 1:12 1968 Matra MS11 F1


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Thanks, Mark!  I made the screens and did a lot of modifications to the funnels.  There are some good photos and descriptions towards the end of page 1 and the beginning of page 2.  The screens aren’t perfect but I think they do add a little something to the engine.  I left them brass for the simple reason that I like them like that more than silver.

I need to go back and read better. Those funnels and screens are amazing, and I agree, I like the brass color better than silver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now that I had the basic drivetrain assembled it was time to start adding some detail.  The kit provides red wire for ignition wire but this does not appear to be period correct.  Most evidence points to yellow ignition wires.  I found a museum display engine with red ignition wires but that was all that I found.  I had to source yellow wire as I didn't have any on hand that I liked.  I added boots to the ignition wires on the cam cover end of the wire.

 

To make the ignition wire boots I bought a cheap heat shrink kit and used the smallest size in the kit.

20220707 183338

 

Each boot is 3mm in length and 1mm ID.

20220725 204919

 

I inserted each wire into its respective hole so that the wire was taut.  I marked the wire at the hole, removed it and then slid a piece of heat shrink up to the mark.  I used a wood burner to heat the heat shrink.  This was a very precise way to apply heat.  I then reinserted the wire.

20220725 222257

 

And the final results.

20220726 222738

20220726 222753

20220726 222352

 

I'm currently working on the fuel lines and the electronics package.  The electronics were minimal and basic, a box or two on top of the engine.  I have added a few details to the kit provided items.  I hope to share that with you next week.  As allways, let me know what you think.  All comments, questions, suggestions, and critiques are welcome.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 11:16 PM, CabDriver said:

That engine turned out GREAT!  Love the super-neat wiring job you did!

Thanks, Jim!  I appreciate it.

 

 

On 8/2/2022 at 7:35 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

A beautiful beast, can't wait to see it with the rest of the detailing.

Thank you, Pierre, I’ll be posting another little update soon. These 1:12 kits lend themselves to some extra detail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2022 at 10:08 AM, Rich Chernosky said:

John...that engine looks way too cool...I would drop that in the back of my Matra any day of the week.

 

Hahahaha, thanks, Rich!  That made me chuckle.  I don't think too many people even know what a Matra is...lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a project like this you really have to think about the order that you are adding details.  I will be adding the small electronic module before adding the fuel lines.  DISCLAIMER:  I took some educated guesses with the details.  I may or may not have gotten them all right but overall they look the part.  There wasn't much going on with electronics in 1968 F1.

This photo along with a few others from slightly different angles was all I had to go on.  (sorry if the picture is huge)

Screenshot 20220717-180823 Chrome

 

Kit supplied parts. Notice the uninspired module with 3 blobs of molded plastic, (middle, right).

20220716 232921

 

I tried to make a power transistor.  Not perfect but an improvement over the kit depiction.

20220717 164211

 

If I had to guess from the picture of the actual unit, capacitor on the left and resistor on the right.  Power transistor in the middle.  I painted them accordingly.

20220717 170626

 

I added 3 mounting tabs with photo-etch philips screw heads.

20220731 183720

 

The platform was covered in BMF and the components were added.  I also added what I believe to be a power resistor.  I took artistic license with the wiring of it all.  At some point I had to say enough is enough.

20220801 211036

 

It looks good mounted to the engine.

20220803 140325

20220803 140350

20220803 140304

20220803 140226

 

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.  I know these old, big scale, foreign F1 cars don't get a lot of love but would be happy to know that people are at least checking out the build thread.  Up next is the fuel pump, fuel lines and throttle items.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love all the details you are adding and the authenticity you are striving for. On that note, those ignition wires look way too perfect and symmetrically positioned. If that could be even considered a "downside". The engine looks just amazing so far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Chris Smith said:

Looking mighty sharp! All those little things will add up in the end.

Thanks for the kind words on my build, I really appreciate it 

Thanks, Chris!  I sure do hope that the final result will look “right”.  And as for your model, you give me something to strive for.
 

 

14 hours ago, mrm said:

I love all the details you are adding and the authenticity you are striving for. On that note, those ignition wires look way too perfect and symmetrically positioned. If that could be even considered a "downside". The engine looks just amazing so far. 

I appreciate it, Michael!  I know what you are saying about the ignition wires.  Because of how they are routed and how they go around the funnels, it really puts them in place, so to speak.  My issue is that they are too bright and just a fraction of a fraction too big.  The fuel lines really kind of “messy up” that whole area.  Thanks for the comments!  I like seeing things through someone else’s eyes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Nacho Z said:


 

 

I appreciate it, Michael!  I know what you are saying about the ignition wires.  Because of how they are routed and how they go around the funnels, it really puts them in place, so to speak.  My issue is that they are too bright and just a fraction of a fraction too big.  The fuel lines really kind of “messy up” that whole area.  Thanks for the comments!  I like seeing things through someone else’s eyes.

Perhaps you can use a Tamiya weathering kit and just rub some "dust " on them, just enough to take the shine off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Wow, this makes my head hurt thinking about doing this micro type of scratch building work like the transistor. I'm in awe.

Thanks, Mark!  I try to do something new to me on most of my models.  This is by far the most scratch building I have ever done.  I honestly don’t think I’m all that good at it and I tend to be lazy about it sometimes.  I thank you for the kind words, I really do appreciate it!
 

 

3 hours ago, absmiami said:

Yup

Hahahaha, I think that is a good thing.  I’m not on your level by any means, (that Miller is sooooo cool!), but I appreciate you dropping in on my project!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mrm said:

Perhaps you can use a Tamiya weathering kit and just rub some "dust " on them, just enough to take the shine off. 

See now, that is something I never even thought about.  I don’t really have any weathering supplies but that is an excellent idea.  I may have to look into that. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is Monday night which means it is time for another update.  A quick thank you to those of you who have stopped by and commented on the build so far.  It is appreciated!

Fuel lines.  I was kind of dreading this.  In my experience tubing like what is supplied likes to kink when curved too sharply.  Also, I couldn't stand them being clear, (not sure why).  My scratch built injectors were made based on the kit tubing so I had to use it.

I tried several things to tint the clear tubing but nothing would stain it.  I settled, and I do mean settled, on using a Yellow Sharpie to literally color the tubing.  Even the Sharpie would wipe off if handled too much.

20220729 221836

 

The entire length of tubing has been colored and cut into 12 equal lengths.  They were then glued to the fuel pump.  I let the CA glue cure overnight.  When I came back I noticed that the glue reacted to the paint on the fuel pump fittings and turned them an orange-ish color.

20220803 201746

 

In progress shot.

20220803 203557

 

Fuel lines in place.

20220804 163548

20220804 163638

20220804 163747

 

Notice the fuel pump.  That is a lot of tubing in a very small area!

20220804 163832

As always, comments and questions are welcome.  Thanks for looking!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

John, this engine is simply wonderful to look at. It could be a model to display on it's own.

I've done some weathering on engine and other mechanical components but I would not do it on this baby. it looks like it just came off from the rebuild bench and ready for installation before the Grand Prix weekend. It's perfect for your build.

You inspire me to up my game on engine detailing. Thank you for showing us your process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have gone through the troubles with building a couple of Protar 1/12 Ferraris and a couple of Tamiya’s. What I did when using the kit supplied clear tubing was actually flow diluted Tamiya clear orange. Best effect I ever achieved. And it will never rub out. If you still have enough clear tubing left, I think it would be worth a try and will be an improvement over what you have now. 
An alternative eliminating the possibilities of kinks is fishing cord. If you go to most fishing supply stores, you will probably go home with enough clear “tubing” in various scales to last you a lifetime, for free. Just tell them what you need it for and they will give you all sorts of pieces. 
   Something I have also tried is clear beading cord, which is super cheap and available in any Walmart or craft store in a variety of sizes. Again, three bucks will probably set you for life. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 9:57 PM, Chris Smith said:

Nice and tidy 😁

Always appreciate your comments. Thanks, Chris!

 

 

On 8/16/2022 at 7:52 AM, MarkJ said:

That detailing makes my head hurt. Very impressive. Looks 1:1.

I’m glad you like it, Mark.  I am trying my best to do a good job on this one.

 

 

On 8/16/2022 at 7:53 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

John, this engine is simply wonderful to look at. It could be a model to display on it's own.

I've done some weathering on engine and other mechanical components but I would not do it on this baby. it looks like it just came off from the rebuild bench and ready for installation before the Grand Prix weekend. It's perfect for your build.

You inspire me to up my game on engine detailing. Thank you for showing us your process.

Wow!  Thank you, Pierre!  I had a conversation with a fellow modeler and friend over on Facebook.  He asked “where’s the oil leak?”…lol.  I told him I just can’t bring myself to dirty up this engine or this model for that matter.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2022 at 9:37 AM, Rich Chernosky said:

John, I know what an absolute pain those fuel lines are.   Your persistence has paid off handsomely.  This is turning out to be one amazing engine. 

Thank you, Rich!  It is great having you follow along!

 

 

On 8/16/2022 at 10:18 AM, mrm said:

I have gone through the troubles with building a couple of Protar 1/12 Ferraris and a couple of Tamiya’s. What I did when using the kit supplied clear tubing was actually flow diluted Tamiya clear orange. Best effect I ever achieved. And it will never rub out. If you still have enough clear tubing left, I think it would be worth a try and will be an improvement over what you have now. 
An alternative eliminating the possibilities of kinks is fishing cord. If you go to most fishing supply stores, you will probably go home with enough clear “tubing” in various scales to last you a lifetime, for free. Just tell them what you need it for and they will give you all sorts of pieces. 
   Something I have also tried is clear beading cord, which is super cheap and available in any Walmart or craft store in a variety of sizes. Again, three bucks will probably set you for life. 

Some very good information, Michael!  I knew of the injecting liquid in the tube but was really unsure of how it would turn out.  I always second guess myself like that.  Turns out I had more than enough tubing and could have tested it.  I absolutely agree that clear orange would have been much better than the yellow I went with.  Maybe on my next 1:12 F1.  I had a local friend tell me about the fishing line.  Fly fishing I believe is what/where he said to look for.  Again, something to try on my next build.  As it turned out, the kit tubing was fresh enough that it did not kink.  Didn't even want to...lol.

Thanks for all of the great input.  I will never think that I am good enough to not listen to great modelers such as yourself!  Keep the suggestions coming!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This Monday night update is a smaller one.  I have done about all I can do to the drivetrain until I get it installed in the chassis.  I added the throttle linkage pieces and a few of my own.  I also installed the exhaust brackets and a radiator bracket.

20220806 113145

20220806 112902

20220806 112951

20220806 113024

20220806 113050

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...