Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis 1957 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop (2 'n 1) OUT NOW!!!!

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

You may regret that purchase. If I'm not mistaken, that's the kit with opening doors and trunk. If it is that kit, it's horrible for warping, ill fitment and flash.

Well dealing with AMT flash and ill fitment isn't nothing new.  Hope nothing is warped too bad.  I thought by it being from atlantis it would be pretty good.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dpate said:

I thought by it being from atlantis it would be pretty good.

Atlantis is just squirting out kits from old molds they bought; some of them have been around for roughly 60 years.

And I'm still trying to understand how this thread belongs in "questions and answers".

4 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Atlantis is just squirting out kits from old molds they bought; some of them have been around for roughly 60 years.

And I'm still trying to understand how this thread belongs in "questions and answers".

Well i asked a question and got a answer so....... there's that :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Dpate said:

Well dealing with AMT flash and ill fitment isn't nothing new.  Hope nothing is warped too bad.  I thought by it being from atlantis it would be pretty good.

Welp, if it's this one (pretty sure it is), those AMT kits you're used to will seem Tamiya-like.

vintage-revell-1314-1957-57-chevy-bel_1_eaf50fada81044fd975db3f1a4975956.jpg.b67ebd5346d8dc942308a5d44c6070a0.jpg

Revell reissued this kit not too long ago as an Ed Roth inspired car. You can at least get some up to date info on it. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, espo said:

I'll wait for someone to post pictures of what is in the box before expressing an opinion. The box art looks good. 

Compare previous box-art re: Scalemates. Pretty obvious what kit this is.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/atlantis-h1371-57-chevy--1402839

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1

The previous Ed Roth issue, and the 1998 issue before it, are both pretty clean.  I'd suspect that Atlantis takes a little bit more care with their products, maybe running their molding operation a bit more slowly and carefully than a bigger operation like Revell.  The only question is, did Atlantis tool new clear parts for this one as for a few other kits?  The fit of the rear glass is questionable.  If Atlantis tooled new parts, hopefully they'll offer them separately as with the other ones they have done.

Bottom line on this kit...and I've built several including the very first release when I was young and the Nomad version...as with older kits in general, it'll make a beautiful model with applied thought and skill.

But if you just want something to gloo together with minimal effort, this isn't the ideal candidate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark said:

The previous Ed Roth issue, and the 1998 issue before it, are both pretty clean.  I'd suspect that Atlantis takes a little bit more care with their products, maybe running their molding operation a bit more slowly and carefully than a bigger operation like Revell.  The only question is, did Atlantis tool new clear parts for this one as for a few other kits?  The fit of the rear glass is questionable.  If Atlantis tooled new parts, hopefully they'll offer them separately as with the other ones they have done.

Additionally, the windshield glass is/was too small.  This appears to be a long running problem, as there was a circa 1985 article in Scale Auto Enthusiast comparing the Revell, MPC, Monogram, and AMT 1957 Chevies which also pointed out the small glass problem.

Personally, I hope the glass issue has been fixed - it would be cool do an early 60's dragster or custom with this kit and the various re-popped Revell Custom Car Parts (also from Atlantis).  It'll be just like 1963 again!